Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The City of Brotherly Love

Over the last couple of months, I've been looking to make some changes in myself and my life; removing myself from some toxic situations, attending a workshop, making some goals, making decisions based on happiness... all therapeutic despite not sitting in a shrink's office for hours on end (plus, it's a given that my Mom's to blame anyway).  Anything we do to search for ourselves, our sanity or peace can be therapeutic.  Reading my mindless magazines or watching silly programs... all therapeutic in a way. 

Recently, I've been taking a look at my massage and how I see it going forward.  Taking more of a factory assembly line approach to it hasn't made me that happy, so I'm looking for some balance and clarity.  On one hand, it might be what my purpose is (to continue massage), but maybe I'm missing it.  Being handed the keys to a Jaguar and going to the parking lot and sticking them into every Honda isn't going to further my journey and neither is driving it like a 4x4 when I do get it going.  Having said that, I met with some local people (Timothy and Jimmi (not pictured)) related to my workshop in December that live here, and we've decided to work together... me providing much-needed therapeutic body work and them working with me on my spiritual side (or as I jokingly refer to it as hocus pocus).  Massage is about so much more than just physical touch, and it's the energy transferrance and more spiritual aspects that can be more beneficial. 

People from the class have become very close (like brothers) and, having done some exploratory work themselves, they have been a great help to me (for which I am deeply appreciative)  in which direction to go in becoming more at peace with myself, my surroundings and life and how that will tie into my massage.  A huge difference from religion, spirituality is anything that you want it to be.  For me, it's something that you seek, where religion (for me) has been something that has sought me out, and then subsequently tried to ram itself down my throat, blah blah blah.  And while I don't see myself (nor am I seeking this path) at the airport handing out flowers in a Martha Stewart 800-count Egyptian cotton sheet, it doesn't have to be about that any way.  It could be as simple as opening my boundries to accept things that I haven't before... taking time to breathe correctly... become more directed and positive in my actions... or self-acceptance.

I'm heading to Philly on Thursday for six days to see some of my friends... some involved in the work and some not (since I lived out there for 12 years).  I'm looking forward to seeing them. 

(From above:  Nick, Jim   Below: Al and Scott(my ex who owns the place in Florida) ... and me and  Eddie)



No comments:

Post a Comment