Tonight's Tuesday night movie was The Crazies. Since I didn't pick the movie, I didn't know what to expect but, curiously named and too coincidental meeting my friends for it, it very well could have been a documentary on our group for all I knew. Oddly, only Matt and I actually made it to the movie... and if I had to pick anyone out of my friends that would shoot up his coworkers in a shame spiral of insanity, it would be him... so I was already uneasy going into it.
A reinvention loosely based upon the George Romero classic of the same name, The Crazies is about the inhabitants of a small Kansas town suddenly plagued by the mysterious insanity in the townspeople. As the story unfolds, you start to realize what caused it and when the government swept in to contain the situation... the few sane ones are left to fight the crazies and the government... with nowhere to escape but their lives depending on it.
Questioning everyone's dwindling sanity throughout, this movie is a mixture of Zombieland (without the humor) and The Happening. Full of chilling unexpected surprises, I was screaming like a little schoolgirl and flailing my arms and legs about my head and neck ten minutes into it (Matt was embarrassed). With a good storyline that keeps you interested, it delivers the chills and thrills. I'd give it 4.5 drooling, bloody zombies out of 5 for the horror of it all. Is it Oscar-worthy?... hell no... but it's great entertainment. Rottentomatoes.com gave it a 70%, which is very high.

No comments:
Post a Comment