Last night, I finally went to see Avatar, the movie that is about to knock Titanic off it's long-seated throne as the top grossing movie of all time. Being one of the first movies to employ computer-generated extras and use some fancy graphics, etc... In Titanic, we found ourselves in awe of the new technology... amazed at the realism... not to mention the large-scale feel of everything... and, finally, the love story that captured our hearts. I have seen it many times... it still keeps my attention.
They say there's only 7 ways to tell a story... and that felt annoyingly so in Avatar. The only thing different in this movie was that people were blue. It had all the same mini-plots (threesome love interest that is forbidden, enemies rallying together for the greater cause, earthlings that screw up their own planet and try screwing up someone else's out of greed, the corporate dollar-loving head, love/hate relationship between co-workers, asshole villian that you hope gets it in the end.... blah blah blah). You've seen it a thousand times. I'm not even going to go into the storyline since most people have seen it already. The only life lessons to walk away with is that we're all connected, greed never wins (except in real life) and do the right thing.
I saw this in Digital 3-D... not IMAX 3-D, or Digital... and who really knows the difference anyway, except in what they charge you. In the theater from start to finish for about 3 hours... it was about 30 minutes too long in story, and about an hour long in 3-D glasses irritation.
I'm glad that I got to see it in a theater rather than at home. Because it was considered a matinee, it cost $8... including the glasses rental. It was very entertaining, had some interesting 'Land of the Lost' animals in it... very futuristic glow in the foliage and was very imaginitive in it's 'New World' concept. And while grand in scale, I don't see how it's winning a bunch of awards for anything other than technology. It seems like that's the most important aspect of a film any more... I guess that's what rakes in the money. I give it 3.5 blue balls out of 5... and only for technology. It probably would have been better to cut it down to an hour, eliminate the dialog altogether and just show more of Pandora.

I couldn't be bothered going...hence mr cloony
ReplyDelete