Sunday, January 17, 2010

I Take Thee... (If it's ok with you, Straighty)


Adversaries in Bush v. Gore, Ted Olson and David Boies are a power couple (non-gay) of super-lawyers supporting same-sex marriage. Dismayed that California voters overrode their state Supreme Court's guarantee of marriage equality for lesbian and gay couples, Boies and Olson have brought a federal constitutional lawsuit to invalidate the voters' action in Prop 8.  The funny thing is that they are stark, conservative Republicans... who obviously know right from wrong across political borders right down to basic, human rights.


The arguments against haven't been exactly open and shut.  Tradition being one of them, just because things were done for a long period of time, doesn't mean that it should remain that way still... or we would still have segregation and debtor's prisons.  Also a point against, is the idea of procreation, yet heterosexual couples can marry without any plans to have kids... so can people in prison and the elderly... no one asks them ahead of time what their intentions are, so how can homosexuals affect the amount of babies born?  Lastly, that it would somehow harm the heterosexual idea of marriage, which is just insane.  How can whether I am in a committed, loving relationship affect a heterosexual marriage... and with the divorce rate as it is, I don't think that it has anything to do with gays... except in the small percentage of gays that get married out of social pressure.  This is the last civil rights issue... and it's hard to believe that it was only 40 or so years ago that a black man couldn't vote... or marry a white woman.


Particulary, and coincidentally, the state of California recognizes marriages involving child abusers and wife beaters, along with people on death row.  Their marriage class system is irrational:  18,000 same sex marriages are legal, but those who divorce cannot remarry...  heterosexuals who can marry, divorce, remarry, divorce, etc... and same-sex couples who can apply for domestic partnership with limited legal rights.

In the Declaration of Independence, it states... "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator, with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness".  I guess my life, liberty (The right and power to act, believe, or express oneself in a manner of one's own choosing) and happiness are in the hands of straight people... most of which don't even understand that, just as they don't think about their attraction to the opposite sex, it's not a choice for me... (although it is a choice to live my life as it was meant to be)... and who have all the legal rights and tax breaks.  And while I guess it's ok that I pay taxes to put their children through school and support programs that support the straight life, it's not ok that I enjoy any of that, including having children (if they had their way).

To be honest, I don't believe in 'marriage' in the traditional sense (except that I think I could rock a white vail and baby's breath in my hat) for gays, but I'm not exactly religious... I'd be happy with a domestic partnership that included all the legal, medical, tax, inheiritance and state recognition that is enjoyed by everyone else.  I am, however, 150% monogamous... believe in being totally committed to one person, building and sharing a life together... working towards common goals, being a productive and benevolent member of society and my community... wow, that sounds like a marriage, doesn't it, not some threatening aboration.


I am fortunate to have such great friends who are loving and accepting.  I am also blessed to have never been stoned, denied, harrassed, shunned, accosted, fired, beaten, lit on fire, jailed, or murdered as many other's have in their pursuit of happiness throughout time.  What I don't understand specifically about Christianity is that, isn't it supposed to be all about loving your fellow man?  Where's the love?  Isn't this another 'war' where religion is at the core?  And while I believe that religion does serve it's purpose in ways (like telling stupid people over and over it's wrong to do things that they can't figure out on their own (which they do anyway and then get forgiven to do it again)), it's no wonder that so many followers are seeking an alternative spirituality... sometimes, just because it's been done for thousands of years, doesn't mean that it's right or makes sense... so maybe the real problem is letting go of old ideals and stubborness at the root.  'I'm a straighty Christian... so that's the only way... no other beliefs or ways of life can be validated'...  hmmm... and sadly, these are all the people that are gun owners.  (just sayin')

So eloquently stated by my friend Matt.... "marriage by any other name is not marriage. Separate but equal is not equal".  Maybe America isn't ready for this... maybe it's not 'time'... it's always time when people are denied their rights.  Being self-labled the most progressive, superior country in the world, we're anything but, if people would get a clue.



No comments:

Post a Comment