Sunday, January 3, 2010

Cut Off


I tell you, it's pure craziness that we, as a society, have become so reliant on our technology.  It's bad enough when the electricity is out or the water is off... how many times that you turn the light switch on not thinking... but when it's no internet connection or worse, no phone... it's maddening. 

I haven't had my phone since New Year's Eve and I'm literally going stir crazy.  Fortunately, I have all my phone numbers backed up because I don't remember anyone's numbers... even my bestest friends...  and to try to find a payphone anywhere... forget it.  It was a further torture that they sent the new one out next-day air, but with New Year's Day and then the weekend with no next-day service... it's my luck totally. 

I feel violated that someone has my phone.  Nowadays, it's virtually impossible to get a phone registered to someone else (because of serial number) hooked up, so you have to wonder what they're doing with it.  Meanwhile, my photos, some intimate texts that I had on there, the only video that I have of my dog since she died... all gone.  And while it's my fault for losing it, what kind of message does that send about the world that we live in?  When this happens, what are the odds of it falling into the hands of someone bad?  Were it me, I would have dialed every number in their contacts to get ahold of them... or taken it to the nearest carrier store... or something. 


I don't know how we got around in the past... I mean, I was there and don't remember.  What about in the old, old days when you sent someone out on a horse with a hand-written message?  When you think of all the times that you use your phone to get things done during the day... trying to meet up with someone, etc... I get claustrophobic thinking about it.  And technology like answering machines and payphones are obsolete now.  We live in a world of instant gratification and instant contact.  Maybe I should relish in a few days of no contact with anyone.  If you need me, send up a smoke signal.

No comments:

Post a Comment