Wednesday, January 27, 2010

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

Today marks the one year anniversary of the inception of and the first post on my blog.


A few years back, when I lived in Vegas, I ran into a cute guy, Darien, who used to do a blog about his daily life.  At the time, I thought... who's he writing to?  Who's reading this?  Then my friend Matt Mandry also did a blog and I started reading his every day.  Becoming one of my best friends, I was interested in what was going on in his life and what he had to say... and found myself logging onto the computer minutes after getting up to see what was up with him.  Currently, I am reading 3 or 4 of my friend's blogs as well as keeping up with many of my friends on Facebook daily.  I figure, if I can't devote 1-2 minutes a day to what's important to them, then what kind of friend am I any way?

Writing the blog every day has been therapeutic and cathartic (elimination of a complex by bringing it to consciousness and affording it expression).  Affording me the opportunity to vent, release, share and think aloud, I have worked through many issues over the past year, from dealing with family issues (moving with my Dad, dealing with my brother and his addiction)... to moving and pairing down my life... to re-organization of my financial situation and starting my business... to dealing with getting older, my depression and being gay... to exploring my adoption and childhood... to everything in between.  I have opened myself up to examination, ridicule and criticism by remaining true to myself and who I am but allowing room for change..  And all the while, friends and even complete strangers (some now friends) follow what I'm writing.  Who am I, but some jagoff from Pittsburgh with enough baggage to take me around the world and back again... is it pompous or indulgent for me to feel as though I'm important enough to command an audience?  Yet, my life feels more justified and acknowledged in the process, and I'm thankful for that.


I will continue to be frank and open about myself and my life in my brand of realistic and sarcastic point of view.  Sometimes it's hard to write stuff that I feel is going to depress people, but while I try to make this more and more entertaining for readers, to be a useful tool, I can't think about that.  To sugar-coat or filter would not be helping me or anyone, really.  And I'm hoping that somehow, the reader may be able to relate to something, laugh at something, reminisce about something or even inspire someone to start their own blog, as Darian and Matt inspired me.  I am truly thankful to them for giving me this opportunity, and thankful to anyone reading for listening and validating my life.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on a whole year of making me laugh (and cry on a couple occasions). You are a gift to have around, my friend.

    Hugs, kisses and general love......


    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read your blog everyday since you and I have started talking, I can say I look forward to it... I check it thoughout the day when Im home...Its given me a chance to feel like IM getting to know you.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. some people think that blogging is self absorption taken to the enth degree...for me it is just a way of relaxation and reflection.....

    if you dont enjoy them....dont read them.....

    congratulations david.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember to read every day but I feel like I'm catching up with you over a cuppa Joe every couple days. Love it.

    ReplyDelete