A few months ago, I went with Julie to her daughter, Kayleigh's gymnastics meet. It was a tough meet and seemed like there was some harsh scoring and a little bias, but she did an awesome job, nonetheless. Over the weekend, she attended the state championships out in Philadelphia and, I'm happy to announce, she was awarded the 2011 Pa State Floor Routine Champion, with a 9.425!! She also won 3rd on beam, 5th on vault and 4th overall. What's incredible about this is how many irons she has in the fire... involved in a ton of other activities... and with all the problems she has with her back as a result of doing this type of movement, it's a miracle, really. I can attest... when I was a gymnast in the 80's, winning lot's of titles, having everyone cut their hair like me.. seeing my face on Wheaties boxes at the Piggly Wiggly, it was a lot of pressure and work and people would say to me "Mary Lou Retton, how do you do it and keep your hair so bouncy?" and I........ oh, shit... wait... that wasn't me... nevermind.
What's also great about this win for her is that she's a senior in high school and will be moving on to college on such a high note, acquiring 2 Gold, 2 Silver and 9 Bronze medals in her gymnastics career. On a personal level, I'd like to say that it's been a pleasure teaching her everything she knows... and I'm glad that my front tumble tuck roll tumble pass flip flip tumble walk tumble turn hand spring flip back snap snap snap routine helped her win the competition... it's the least I could do... I'm always stage left... never getting MY chance in the spotlight because of talented, over-achieving little...... (but I digress).
Below is the clip of her performance... pay no attention to the woman screaming the whole time... oddly, she was at Kayleigh's last meet as well and despite me trying to have her physically removed, they have some kind of rule that says mom's of champions can be loud and can stay.

You are too funny... I am rolling on the floor. Thanks, David! Your mad double twisting flip flip tuck snap jumpy run did indeed help me win, I will admit. Half of my medal goes to you, chief.
ReplyDelete-K
I am slightly embarrassed by the screaming in the video but I was a bit, um, emotional.....I am so proud.....she's a champ in every sense of the word....
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to Kayleigh! I can only imagine all of the hard work and dedication (including her family) she has put forth to make this happen. In a time where it's hard to get a girl her age out of the mall, or do something other than sachet across a gym floor, she is achieving goals and making things happen in her life. Thanks for sharing this with us,and Yeah for crazy Mom's, the world could use a lot more of them. :)
ReplyDeleteC'mon Kayleigh! LOL Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteThat's fantastic! Congratulations to Kayleigh.
ReplyDeleteKayleigh! I don't know if you remember me, but we went to high school together - I was a few years ahead of you; but anyway, I was creeping with my friend Robin and saw you won States with Gymnastics! CONGRATULATIONS! That is amazing - I'm so happy for you. Way to represent us LP gymnasts!
ReplyDelete