Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Full of Glee

Last night's episode of Glee proved satisfying on so many levels.  Not only did the New Directions win regionals after all their hard work and slushy-endurings, but Kurt finally found love.  It's been a long road, changing schools, getting closer to Blaine then watching him almost fall for Rachel and all but giving up before it happened but, as always, love prevails.  Well, on TV at least.  When Kurt was singing Blackbird, you could see the 'a-ha' moment that Blaine had in his eyes... and his smile (the place where I look for it in my hopeful suitors).  It was an incredible moment not only in the name of love, but the kiss as well for the good of the gay 'cause'... you couldn't help feel something and cheer them on.  Darren Criss (Blaine) is pretty dreamy... if all boys were like him, what a different world we'd live in.

The question that I have to ask myself in my situation is whether I am attracted to unlikely, messed up situations or do they somehow find me?  Like the old unanswered question about the chicken and the egg and which came first, I don't think it really matters.  Situations just materialize for me... a boy with a drug problem... another that's about to accept a job in NYC... another that lives halfway across the world that would rather whine about lost love than fight for it... another that's in a relationship and moving... and the list goes on.  And while I'm far from perfect and have my messed up situations and philosophies to contribute, it just seems that the idea of a normal situation just isn't out there at this day and age as it was in the past.

I've been going through some things over the last 3 or 4 years, but I finally feel like I'm ready to open up again and, with several recent attempts, give my heart to someone.  And not just anyone, mind you.  The way to my heart has always been through my head... and the best way to capture me is through my mind, so when I get that connection, and it's followed by a passionate kiss... or a hand holding... the deal is sealed.  Being able to talk to someone via 10 different modes of communication has taken the place of going on a date.  Instead of planning a date and going, you can have 100 dates in the meantime and you get right to the core of someone immediately, provided they are telling you the truth.

Having the blog helps and hurts me.  It allows me to put myself out there like a giant profile... exposing every part of me which helps people get to know me, good and bad, with nothing to hide.  The problem is that by the time that I know just a little bit about them, they know a lot about me and are possibly interested... and then I can't get close enough to them to learn if I like them before they are at a different point in the process.  So, I basically try to keep them at arm's length and before you know it, I just have to run away.  It also sets me up for criticism... and while other people are keeping their issues and thoughts in where they are safe from being picked apart, mine are right out there like a billboard on a major highway.  Some people are afraid of me... some people don't know how to take me... and sadly for me, that leaves me sometimes with people just wanting to step up to the plate to take a crack at me, like I'm some baseball pitch.  It all leaves me very lonely.

My most recent attempt started out as friends, but got quite serious after talking and sitting in front of each other.  I had an 'a-ha' moment.  Sadly, this person is in a relationship that seems to be somewhat broken, looking to me for the things that he should be getting from his partner but obviously isn't.  I want to just shake him and tell him to wake up... and it's a little more complicated than all that... but is it?  With how hard it is to connect with one person out of billions in the world... and feel every single thing in return... and then to let the passion and connection go without nurturing it into something beautiful is such a waste.  On the other hand, I want someone that appreciates who I am, what I have to offer and I don't deserve and won't accept anything less.  Considering some of the crazy parameters I am willing to endure to give someone a chance, we know that I'm not just too picky.  I understand that love isn't simple and has it's challenges.  I'm not expecting the white limo to pull up, the doves to be released and the music to start playing.

I've gone from being shut off completely for years.... to two or three connections recently, and some misfires.  I'm not trying too hard, in fact, I'm not even looking... they are finding me.  But I know I've made progress and I'm on the right track.  I'm feeling again, and that's an important step.

9 comments:

  1. When Blaine reached in to kiss Kurt I died… I died because I felt Kurt’s happiness swell inside me and explode ha ha I'm sure you will find your 'Kurt' too David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I find my Blaine instead?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written, beautifully done. Thank you for sharing all of that. If someone isn't getting you after all of this, after you have basically handed yourself and all that is you over on a silver platter, the world has gone mad. Times certainly have changed, but love will always be love, and I am so glad that you have opened your heart again. You deserve nothing but the best and I am glad to see you are demanding nothing less. Much Love. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So well put together...love it.

    saludos,
    raulito

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me, "not looking" always worked best because I wasn't "trying" to find someone, I was just living.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will hit you when you least expect it ! This is Gemini's year in the second or third quarter according to the Farmers Almanac. So no telling what the spring planting might bring?

    ReplyDelete
  7. David - reading this wa eerie as it felt like a 10 year period I went through of datif where every guy seemed far too "complicated" where they had too much baggage, too little interest or already had a boyfriend. It all seemed so overwhelming and I started to feel that every gay man was a mess. However that very broken road I think served a purpose and prepared me for a good or may I say great relationship with my partner Dale. I do think you need to put yourself out there but always be careful and know some guys just suck (okay, pun intended) and it is often more about their issues than it is you. One thing I did learn was to never date anyone who has not been honest or brave enough to end their current relationship and to realize they probably never will be smart enough to see what is sitting right in front of them. For every Blaine who finally sees Kurt, there are 99 more who never will. Sorry to ramble on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't and will probably never watch Glee just because I don't like to see 20 plus year olds playing teenagers (the old "Hollywood Thing") but I can comment on finding love and Mr. Right. From my personal experience and witnessing my friends' experiences, I think finding the right person who you can connect with and spend the rest of your life with is a combination of luck and the willingness to accept a relationship that is not possessive and smoothering. Personally I was lucky to meet my mate of the past 46 years. From the first we agreed to an open relationship. While I recognize that doesn't work for everyone, it worked for us. I have an emotional connection with my spouse, not a sexual one. The sex was fun but the lust died off after a couple of years which it always does, not matter how hot and sexy the guy is. ALWAYS. Now at my age of 69 and my partner's age of 82, we are entering the final years of our life content in the knowledge that the last 46 years have been well spent and not one moment was wasted on petty jealousy. Again, this is what worked for us. Each situation is different. You have to find what works for you. If you believe that the only relationship that will work for you is a monogamous one, then you will probably live alone for most of your life. And if you believe that, then you probably would want to live alone for the pain of jealousy is not a life. I hope you find the happiness that you seek.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems many folks find 'the one' when they STOP looking. Don't accept anything less than someone who's absolutely crazy for you. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete