Sunday, March 13, 2011

In My Opinion

With 25 years in business management, I've always been the type of person to look at a situation and be able to quickly assess it, come up with a plan and act upon it to fix it immediately, if not instantaneously.  At one of my jobs, I had to take a personality test that was developed by the Gallup people called the Strength's Finder.  After a barrage of questions, the results are based in the ideal that, rather than try to change your weaknesses, concentrate on your top 5 strengths.  Mine were ACTIVATOR, ANALYTICAL, COMMUNICATOR, COMMAND and RESPONSIBILITY. 

I've often been criticized for not listening thoroughly to someone's problem and my being able to 'decide' is labeled by others as hasty or that I couldn't possibly have all the facts before my summation.  In the past, I've tried to force myself to listen to the whole situation as an exercise in patience, but I rarely would come up with a different assessment than if I did it quickly.  My mind just works that way.  When I meet someone, I am immediately sizing them up in my head on how they would fit into my life and vice versa.  When I am in a bad relationship, I am not the kind of person to just explode with a bunch of pent up stuff; I've already been assessing throughout, and most of my ex's were quite surprised when I left, having made the decision prior to them starting to pay attention to the warning signs and speeches I was giving.  The same happens when I am listening to someone who comes to me with a problem.  I feel I have good insight and can quickly give my opinion, one that I very rarely regret, go back on or change.  I've always wanted to be a therapist or psychiatrist, but often wondered if I'd be able to sit there and listen the whole time... plus, I'd make no money by only billing 5 minutes at a time.

With traveling lately, I've had a hard time getting caught up with everyone's blog that I read, which has become a large list at this point.  I like listening, and while I do comment, I like the listening part in this situation because it allows me to hear all of it without feeling like I have to reply before the end, especially without having the person in front of me to interrupt.  You can actually learn a lot more that way... and it's not like I'm walking through a company solving problems one after another after another like I've done in my previous career track.  And so I read about chickens, and living in the woods, and southern hospitality, and crocheting and unicorns.... and it's all wonderful... music to my ears, even.

These are the descriptions of my 5 top traits... which are eerily so describing of me it's scary.  For those that really know me, it'll be interesting to hear your feedback on whether it's me or not.  (click, then click again for magnified view)



7 comments:

  1. At the risk of sounding omniscient, your top five traits as posted, were of little surprise to me, if any. To say it's an accurate description of you is almost an understatement, but at the same time, seeing it in "textbook" form, is a little eerie.

    You have always said to me that I don't ever have to be anyone but who I am with you. I have never forgotten that remark, and hold it near and dear to my heart; especially being aware early-on in our friendship, of your strong and at times, intimidating, personality traits.

    The fact that you have also always told me you would rather I tell you what's on my mind, instead of just agreeing with you, shows a confidence in yourself, but also an absence of bravado, in that you are so willing to hear and consider the idea's and opinion's of other's.

    I think what draws me to you most, is that even with your exceptionally strong personality traits, you have never made me feel inadequate, inept, or been dismissive of me. You have always listened and helped me problem solve, most times pointing me in a direction, but making me find the answer's on my own, wanting me to learn and grow. Truth be told, you have never needed an hour-long dissertation from me on a topic, for you to come up with a solution. This works for me because I know who you are, I have complete confidence in you, and have a great deal of respect for your judgement.

    Now the part about who you are in your heart vs. your head (you knew this was coming). Quite often, you present with a cool exterior, a temper that is quick to flare, and a heart that is slow to trust; however, this can be deceptive. You can also be quick to display physical emotion with your friends (a hug, a smile), and quick to forgive. The slow to trust is the most difficult for the people in your life, because so often, you push away. For me, my heart is most touched by you, when I see you letting your guard down, opening your heart, and loving with open arms; it is a rare event.

    In my opinion, while your reasoning skills, strong sense of responsiblity, and practicality are invaluable personality traits, your heart, is your biggest asset. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,

    Since I have known you for 25 plus years I have seen you grow in so many ways. Since I have known you in both a business and personal realtionship I will first address the business realtionship. You are a leader, someone I would trust with my company if I had one. You are analytical, you can access a situation very quickly and you have in most cases come up with the right decision. In business you are also a great communicator. People respect you because you listen to them. I have been in business for over 30 years and would absolutely love the opportunity to work with you again.

    On a personal note, you have always been my confident. I value your opinion and you are a great listener. I feel you assess the situation with good advice. I am proud to call you one of my best friends. I wish I had more people like you in my life.

    Love,
    ELaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. GEMINI w/ taurus moon rising ! ENUF SAID :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, listening is a lot harder than people think, so if you're a good listener, that's a plus in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have taken those tests before and it always shocks me how easily they seem to peg my personality.

    What are some of your most favorite blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. About keeping up with blog reads - it is a common problem viz. you want to read so many and there is not enough time it seems to do them justice.
    I too struggle with this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...I read all of these passages and thought "check!" "Check!" "Check!" "Check!"

    I have great passion for my blog reading and although I pretty much keep up daily on all my blogs thanks to Google Reader and some down time at work almost every day, I get chastised sometimes by people for insisting I need time each day to "catch up on my blogs." I hate that I don't/can't comment more often, but I'm there every day, through it all...reading, listening, learning.

    ReplyDelete