Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bean Town

On our bus ride to Xplor in Cancun, part of the in-flight entertainment (picked by the Mexicans as a guess as to what Americans would love to watch, I suppose) was a really stupid move called Rat Race (Cuba Gooding was in it, that should have been the give-away that it was going to be horrible)... and 4 episodes of Mr. Bean.  Not being one for British humor (sorry John), I have never seen any of the episodes previously.  Growing up with my Dad and brother watching Benny Hill and the likes of The Three Stooges, I had my fill of hooter slapstick comedy as a child.

I don't know if it was because we were trapped in a small bus for an hour and a half with strangers driving through the barrio and outback of the Yucatan Peninsula and I was trying to fixate on anything but those factors and the impending possibility that I could wind up in some jail with a big cell mate named Chico... but it was pretty funny, actually.  Oddly, and possibly coincidentally, Mr. Bean, the actor, was in Rat Race as well.  The point to all of this (which is moot now), is that I really liked the theme song to the show, which is Ecce Homo Qui Est Faba.  It's Latin and translates "behold the man that is a bean", and somehow that has some religious connection that I'm really not interested in knowing.  Anyway, that was the translation, rather than my first inkling, which was "look at the gay man who is fabulous", as it sounds and looks like to a third year high school French student.  Regardless, it's quite the lovely chorale piece...

6 comments:

  1. OK, I know I stand to lose what little love and adoration you have for me, but Rat race is one of my guilty pleasures...I am not a fan of Cuba or Bean...but dammit, there were moments in that stupid movie that just make me laugh. I have a crush on Seth Green and like Kathy Najimy so I'll use that as an excuse...but, dude, I CANNOT drive past a string of road signs without thinking "You...should...have...bought...a....squirrel..."

    I will pay you to keep liking me.

    Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Sean... I will admit that, since we only got to see half the movie on the way there, I was a little bit excited to see the rest on the way back to see who won. The best thing I took away from that is the term "prairie doggin' it", which means when you are extremely close to having to go #2 that it sticks it's 'head' out and goes back in again. That was hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can;t do poop humor...it freaks me out :-(

    But the John Lovitz (sp?) Hitler stuff was comical...

    ReplyDelete
  4. mr bean is essentially ENGLISH but have a look at VICTORIA WOOD..her northern British humour is more my cup of tea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. John... Absolutely Fabulous is the only British humor that I have ever understood... go Patsy and Idina!!

    ReplyDelete