I've always been the kind of person to ignore symptoms of illness, hating to give into not feeling good... hating to take any kind of medication and, with not having medical insurance, hating to pay a doctor to sit in the waiting room watching daytime TV when I can get it at home for free, and I can watch the progrums I want to watch. Despite all of that, that's where I spent my morning, the first day of my Marriott contract. At some point in Cancun, I felt a little chest congestion and ignored it and it went away. Then I felt a little weird at the beginning of last week and ignored it and it went away. Then I woke up in the middle of the night spitting lugies the size of Rhode Island... along with some other symptoms... and decided to just give in to it (with a lot of prodding from Robin). Turns out I have my regular Rhinitis Sinusitis and was put on a Z-Pak of antibionics (meaning that they suck the bionic life out of me, like the doctor did to my wallet). With my severe allergies, my nasal passages swell and close at night, so when I get an infection, it just sits up there until it's unblocked and can drain. So it looks like it's just me, my woobie and a few movies for me all day.
While at the doctor's office, I figured I'd get all my freebie stuff from him... a pocket full of tongue depressors, a blank prescription pad, a stethoscope (they leave them in the examination room like a hotel does with fancy soaps and a shower cap for you to take, right?)... and have my blood pressure, weight and height checked... and I was surprised to see/remember that I'm 5'11", not the 5'10" that I had in my mind for so long now. When your head is filled with useless nonsense, at some point you forget shit... hell, a few years ago (for a whole year), I thought I was a year older than I was until a friend pointed it out. Now, I know you're thinking 'what's an inch in the scheme of things except in horseshoes and hand grenades'... and, true... with some back-combing and some teasing, I can get a good 7-8" of good height on my hair on a fairly non-windy day with low humidity in a low altitude setting with a half can of Final Net... but where it comes into play is my body fat %. With the extra inch, my body fat went from around 18% down to 17%. Not exactly worth $90 for ten minutes with the doctor... or as valuable as gaining a whole year that you thought you lost... but good news, nevertheless.
poor boy, I hope it's not too bad eat some hot chicken noodle soup and stay in bed, wish I could spend you some company.
ReplyDeleteDave,
ReplyDeleteI always like reading your blog. I like bloggers who 'think aloud honestly.' Actually, that's the only kind of blog I like. I'm sorry you have a sinus infection. I'm like you, I tend to ignore the signs of illness and work through them but sometimes you just can't. Last year for the first time in my life I went to the doctor for my cold which just wasn't getting better. She told me that I had pneumonia in one lung and if I hadn't come in I could have had full blown pneumonia! Just what I always wanted. So, even though it's a pain (expensive, boring, et al) to go to the doctor, go when your body is telling you something is wrong.
That was funny about you forgetting your own age. You will find as you get older that happens more often that you would expect. Probably some kind of sub-conscious denial going on there.
Stay well my friend, we want you around for a long time.
I knew there was something seriously wrong with you on Saturday, when you assigned gender to the Sun...and stop blaming me for everything! My inner gay male is very sensitive.
ReplyDeleteHope you're feeling better soon and Phlegm Phactory in your head shuts down!
ReplyDelete