Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won’t either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. It is the reason you are here on earth. You are here to risk your heart. You are here to be swallowed up. And when it happens that you are broken, or betrayed, or left, or hurt, or death brushes near, let yourself sit by an apple tree and listen to the apples falling all around you in heaps, wasting their sweetness. Tell yourself you tasted as many as you could.
~ Louise Erdrich, The Painted Drum
A week or so ago, I proposed the question 'could you fall in love with someone that you've never met', in regards to my starting to fall in love with someone 6000 miles away. See, I have always been a logical person, always thinking with my head and not my heart, but this person changed that for me. I allowed myself to forget how far away he was... how difficult it would be for us to ever meet, yet alone build a life together... along with a dozen other logistical questions. None of that mattered though with a direct connection to our hearts, I threw caution to the wind. At the time of the post, we had taken a step back, realizing some of the difficulties and were tortured with the idea of love lost, which only brought us together deeper throughout the week that I was gone. I was happy... my creative juices were flowing... I had felt as though I had met my soulmate... someone who was able to crack the hard exterior of me and get down to my core, unlocking things that I didn't think were possible after being guarded. Was this true love? Was it possible with multitudes of communication via email and chat and a face picture to develop such strong feelings. The answer is yes. My imagination envisioned him in every scenario we talked about... from laying in bed to sitting in a business meeting to eating breakfast to sipping tea. And many times, I envisioned myself right next to him.
On the morning that I was going to write a post announcing my deep love, I received some more pictures from him, and to my shock, they looked nothing like the picture I originally had, explained that it was taken 5 years prior, and I sat there feeling that my whole world had fallen apart. Many things went through my head, including thoughts that he had lied about who he was and I started to question everything he ever said and how things played out. I immediately felt like the guy I fell in love with died... much like when you idolize a celebrity and then you meet them and they're not at all what you expected, and then you mourn the person that you had in your head... which is called disinfranchised grief. After a few friends looked at the before and after pictures and couldn't find a resemblance either, I struggled to find the connection to the 'new' person, after all, the feelings that I had were directly connected with that person's heart, weren't they? The problem was that I couldn't see this new person in any of the scenarios previously mentioned... and the words he said took on new meanings and his reaction took on a persona that I couldn't see coming from the original person. To be fair, I was trying to understand what he was going through... imagine someone looking at your picture and saying it wasn't you because their mind couldn't pick up on the similarities. And I tried... I really tried to find those and asked for help in recognizing them, but he was mostly feeling attacked, which I can understand. I'm not saying he's a liar or was trying to mislead me... I just wanted him to want to show me, and he retreated, somewhat showing a slight admission of guilt... or that he didn't care enough to fight. There's a saying... if you walk away and they don't come after you, keep walking. The strong person who had been through so much prior recoiled into a shell, further shielding himself from me. It was like someone had come along and snatched him up... and replaced him.
I'm not blaming him for this. We are victims of circumstance in a situation that was a long shot to begin with, but a travesty in the name of love, regardless. And while I could say perhaps if we could not survive the first bump in the road, we wouldn't have lasted to begin with... I am sad, none the less, for many reasons. I am mourning the death of the person in my mind, based on his original picture, that I fell in love with to begin with... looking in his eyes, being illuminated by his smile, feeling his energy and having been inspired by his words and all the good that it brought out in me. I am also sad because his reaction to all of this makes me question what it really was to begin with... did I falsely interpret my feelings or who he was? And am I a bad person because this love/heart/mind connection that I have cannot be transferred to another face? He's the same person, right... and supposedly the same person in the two pictures, just looking different. I just can't wrap my head around it, even still.
As the poem at the beginning states, we have to be open to love, regardless of the risks and hurt that is involved... and it's much better to have lived and loved and been hurt than not not to love at all. I am so appreciative for what he brought out in me... the love... the feelings... the creativity... and the ability to take a risk. I am lucky to have had him in my life.
I've been listening to this song for a few months now... but never really listened to the words. Considering that he lives overseas and were supposed to be meeting for the first time in a few weeks... and that I was just away on a tropical island sitting by a window feeling the breeze and thinking about him and he thought about hopping on a plane to meet me in Cancun... it's uncanny how perfect it is for this situation.

I feel for you and this unpleasant turn of events.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking from my own experiences and those of my friends, there are two main "strategies" when it comes to online dating. The first is those who spend hours, weeks or months getting to know anything and everything about the person.
The second group say hi and then meet spending very little time exchanging info. This is me because no matter how truthful the guy has been, I tended to fill-in the gaps and create a person that didn't exist. I also found it made chemistry almost impossible.
Well, I would imagine you're asking yourself the tough questions. Did you fall in love with a person, or a picture, or an ideal?
ReplyDeleteAnd, if he misrepresentated himself in photos, does that mean the person has changed, or just the picture and the ideal?
I fell in love with a man 3000 miles away, but was lucky enough to fall in love with the person, then the voice, then the face, and, lastly, all of him.
It can happen.
you were not in love david... it was a dream you were infatuated with...
ReplyDeletechill, re group and date a little more
you are trying a little too hard
I'm sorry, but if he was dishonest about representing what he looked like from the get go, that was a lie and the very start of your communication was based on false pretenses. Attraction is chemical, empirical and emotional, and he misrepresented himself. Even if you might have been attracted to his "real face" otherwise, it is still jarring to discover that who you think you are talking to is not who you are talking to and so now you have learned he is dishonest. Bait and switch is a classic on line trick.
ReplyDeleteI think you probably wanted to fall in love and allowed yourself to at least partially imagine this person into what you wanted and hoped he'd be, but your feelings and emotions are real, regardless of why and how they developed, and I am sorry for your loss of potential in this would be relationship.
It spooks me sometimes at how very "hit home" some of your ideas or concepts are for me. I, too, know the experience, akin to feeling as though someone you thought you knew "died" when you discover they never really existed. I had a double dos of it with some people last summer and I still ache and mourn over the loss.
There is no right and wrong here. there just is. All you can do is process the experience, feel your emotions and move on. The only way out is through, my friend. Such is life.
Be well. I really do empathize and sympathize with you.
Sean: Bear in mind that I'm not saying that he mislead me or there was a bait and switch... at the very least, he used an old picture of himself as his profile pic. I (and others)was just unable to see the resemblance between the two, but I'm not an expert either. We all change over time. It must have been hard for him to have to defend himself. As always, Sean, we are on the same page when it comes to feelings and the way we express ourselves.
ReplyDeleteJohn: My feelings were very real.. albeit an almost unrealistic dream I was invested in.
Bob: Great insight... that's the question that I've been asking myself over and over again. I think it was all of the above.
Forge Ahead ..... remember the hours before night turns into day reminds you that everything that was remains in the darkness of the past, while all things possible lie ahead in the dawn of the new day.
ReplyDeleteOh...........and P.S. Thanks for changing your blog pic. :)
ReplyDeleteDavid - I’m sorry you’re going through this…….I know you don’t do anything halfway, so I am sure you had allowed yourself to be fully engrossed in it. I have to ask….do you think the original photo was indeed him or was it someone else? In my eyes, there’s a huge difference between the two scenarios. One is outright fraud and the other is someone who may be struggling with self-esteem issues and is ashamed of who they have become (I can relate). Either way, you can’t change the way your heart feels and it’s good that you were truthful with yourself before you got in any deeper.
ReplyDeleteJulie: Although I couldn't see too much resemblance, the other pic was just as handsome... just different... and nothing to be ashamed of. I just had a hard time transferring my feelings to another look. But it's unfair to him... to be judged like that. I wanted to believe.
ReplyDeleteI too am sorry for your let down. If is it any comfort, we have all been there to some degree, and you are not alone now.
ReplyDeleteWhen we do face the difficult times, we need to remember that circumstances don’t make a person, they reveal a person. ”~Emma Jameson
ReplyDelete