All you have to do is read a few of my posts and you can tell that I don't have a problems talking... and talking... and talking. The thoughts in my head race much faster than I can process and get out of my mouth. And whether it's time allotted or page space, it's usually not enough.
When I write, I try to use proper grammar and spelling, since it's a pet peeve of mine. I think that I do the 'hyphen' pretty well, but my biggest over/mis-used piece of grammar is the punctuation, the ellipsis. Used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought or at the end of a sentence, it suggests a trailing off into silence by using three periods or 'dot, dot, dot' (...).
I guess the problem comes in when I'm always going off on a tangent or trying to tell the back-story. Because I usually have verbal vomit, that comes across on paper as well. Plus, there isn't usually an actual stopping point... and my thought process is one big, long, ever-lasting, continuous, never-ending... well, you get the point, point, point.
One of the things that resonated from my Body Electric workshop in December was the use of breath control and just breathing in general. With more oxygen going into your body, there's a heightened sense or self, both physically and mentally. Physically, more oxygen in your body makes you alert... and makes your nerve endings more sensitive, among other things. Mentally, by being aware of your breathing, you are more in control and paced. Meditation and yoga both use breathing in their teachings, as does Body Electric. The need to find your center of gravity or energy is important in many aspects of your life. In my life and in my writing, it's something that I need to work on...

No comments:
Post a Comment