Ahead of time, I know that my mail room is going to be overwhelmed with hate mail for this one....
Lent is the Christian season of preparation before Easter. In Western Christianity, Ash Wednesday marks the first day, or the start of the season of Lent, which begins 40 days prior to Easter (Sundays are not included in the count). It is a time when many Christians prepare for Easter by observing a period of fasting, repentance, moderation and spiritual discipline. The purpose is to set aside time for reflection on Jesus Christ - his suffering and his sacrifice, his life, death, burial and resurrection. Lent isn't actually mentioned in the Bible (although talks of repenting in ashes is), rather, it seems that it is a man-made ritual of exerting willpower and faith.
I don't think it's a secret that I don't believe in organized religion ( I gave it up for Lent a few years ago). It seems that most Christians don't even know why they do the things they do but, rather, they just do as they are told, much like a cult. Sit down, kneel, stand, kneel, sit down... it's amazing to watch a church service. And while I believe in tradition and any means to keep people in line, when you ask questions about religion to a Christian, it usually only takes a few of them to get to something that they can't explain... which is fine... I can't tell you why most gays have a great sense of style... it just is. But I find it hypocritical that just because you have ashes on your head, then you're saved (as you're on your way over to see your neighbor's wife after you've just cursed someone out in the church parking lot)... and someone who loves, cares and does for others but doesn't subscribe to the Catholic Daily News is going to hell.
For that reason, I refer to Lent as 'length'... how long a Catholic can stick to their guns. Not only is it a time of sacrifice (giving up something for the 40 days and nights of Lent which most people can't make through the end of the week), but it's also a time for the rent-a-Catholics to suddenly show up at church to be better Christians... also usually not lasting the week out. Religion seems to be an ala carte buffet of pick-and-choose lessons rather than ordering the full-course meal. And while I don't have a problem with people believing in whatever they want, I am extremely opposed to hypocracy. Being an all or nothing type of person (for example, with working out... I either get crazy dedicated or I don't even drive by the gym at all, at the risk of being two-faced), I say stick to your guns or don't come to the OK corral. And certainly, don't put a bullseye on your head if you don't plan on following through with it.
Having said that, now that it's Length... I am giving up toxic people in my life and vow to not be toxic myself. I also vow to get my goals written down and to focus on them to be a more positive person. And instead of giving up food items or pop, I will simply pledge to actually make it to the gym across the street three times a week. Hey.. look at me... I'm picking and choosing... I must be a Catholic!
I'm off to the mall to catch people comitting sins...

No comments:
Post a Comment