(In keeping with my posts to feature my friends (See Featuring...))
At some point in the seventh grade (1979ish), a little redish-brown haired girl caught my eye in Chorus... and I was hooked. We became friends and I found myself in a war with a friend of mine for her attention that spanned the rest of our high school days and was the fuel for many a quarrel... especially after her family moved practically in my backyard.
Julie and I were inseparable. There weren't too many people that were happy that we were friends, including my Mom, who felt she was taking her little boy away. We spent countless hours playing games (like let's see how many times Julie can break skin scratching David with her fingernails (and I still have the scars to prove it)) and store and everything else in her room... we scoured every inch of the neighborhood and I was like an adoptee in her family. And while I openly had a crush on her sister Jodi (this was BBG (before becoming a gay)), I secretly loved Julie, but never had the balls to act on it.
By the time high school came, she moved out of the neighborhood and really blossomed. I sort of felt left behind as the geeky little kid. She became a Spartanette (cheerleader) and hung out with all the popular kids, started dating and although we were still in the same circle of friends, I didn't see her as much... mostly in Chorus still. Because she had the best voice in the school, she was constantly the lead in all the plays... and all I dreamt about was being up there playing opposite her and doing a duet. But, again with no balls, I never tried out and it never happened. I moved to Philadelphia after high school and we kept in touch... and when I told her I was gay, she took it hard but we have remained friends for 31 years.
Since high school, Julie got married to her husband, John, and they were in a band together. Despite my pushing her to get on Star Search years ago, she has only shared her voice on a smaller, local level instead, in a band called "One Big Dakota". Right out of school, she did a wedding demo tape that I wore out... and there's not a friend of mine that didn't sit through it... and had to listen to me gush about how great she was. I think I was her biggest fan and I still am... although seeing her on stage has always been a bit of a problem for me, and I haven't supported her as I should have. Call it regretting or reminicing... I've always had a hard time letting go of the past... including me still calling her by her maiden name (sorry John). Guess I'm still not ready to let go. In fact, I think of her every time I hear the Orleans song "You're Still the One".
Today, she has two great kids... Kaleigh and Daniel. Kaleigh, into gymnastics, was blessed with Julie's voice. Enduring a lot over the years and still, Julie is the quintessential Mom, devoted to her family... loving... fun... strong, and able to push through somehow every day... always smiling and laughing (brightening up the room)... all things that I admire most about her. Her family is lucky to have her... and I, as my friend. Although our lives continue to change, our friendship remains the same.
Please visit her Myspace page to hear some of her songs: Julie's Songs



awwww that was the BEST blog post yet!!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh, Lord..........shouldn't have read this one at work as there is now a puddle on my keyboard. I don't know that you'll ever realize what you have meant to me - and still do. And you know the reason I took the news that you're gay so hard - timing is a bitch.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the wonderfully kind words. This is one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me.....truly.
When it comes to friends, you'll ALWAYS be the one.....