Monday, February 1, 2010

A Single Man

I had missed going out with the guys for a movie over the weekend since I was sick, so after my cleaning binge today, I decided to treat myself to a nice, relaxing afternoon out at the theater.  Two slices of pizza, one venti hazelnut latte no whip and two Dunkin Donuts later, I made it to the film in Squirrel Hill.  I like that theater... I feel like I'm supporting the little guy when I go there... it's retro... and the people that go there are usually of the artsy-fartsy, Democrat style... who know how to watch a movie without pulling a gun out, are not stuffing their face with noisy food and can keep their opinions to themselves and not talk.  You could actually hear a pin drop the whole time.

Set in L.A. in 1962, A Single Man is the story of George Falconer (Colin Firth) who is struggling to find meaning to his life after the death of his long-time partner, Jim.  George dwells on the past and can't see his future as we follow him through a single day, where a series of events and encounters ultimately leads him to decide if there's a meaning to life after Jim... going as far as laying out the plans necessary to take his life.  Consoled by his closest friend Charley (Julianne Moore) and a kindred-spirited young man... the romantic tale of love interrupted, the isolation that is an inherent part of the human condition and ultimately, the importance of the seemingly smaller moments in life rang through in this excellent adaptation.

The role won Firth the Best Actor award at the Venice Film Festival.  The art direction was excellent... capturing the feel of the time period right down to the 60's film noir musical compositions and everyone smoking constantly.  Julianne Moore looked stunning as the divorcee' best pal to Firth.  The whole thing was shot beautifully and kept you totally intrigued the first minute to the last.  I'd give it 5 Lucky Strike cigarettes out of 5... 

It was tragic, ironic and poetic.  It brings to mind the saying... better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment