hap⋅py
–adjective, -pi⋅er, -pi⋅est.
1. delighted, pleased, or glad, as over a particular thing: to be happy to see a person.
2. characterized by or indicative of pleasure, contentment, or joy: a happy mood; a happy frame of mind.
3. apt or felicitous, as actions, utterances, or ideas.
Part of the definition for happy is the word felicitous, meaning 'well-suited or appropriate for the occasion'. Society dictates that we should all be looking for the state of happiness... hell, it's even in our Constitution ("right to..... pursuit of happiness"). Happy Birthday... Don't worry, be happy... forget all your troubles, come on get happy... I even write in my Xmas cards 'Best of luck, health and happiness in the coming year'. Smiley faces... people telling you to 'cheer up' all the time... we are obsessed with the pursuit of happiness and no one is happy themselves unless you are happy too. Buying a house that's too big that you can't afford because you think that will make you happy... a fancy car... taking promotions... putting your body through dieting because a new you will make you happy... plastic surgery... jewelry... a 52 inch TV... taking a vacation... dating... all things we do to reach an undefined state of happiness. As individual as it is, how do we know what is really going to make us happy and will we know when we actually get there?
A large percentage of America is on anti-depression meds... in fact, I don't have many friends who are not. It seems like if you're not on one, you're not doing your part as a whole to create this world-wide sense of happiness. Sadly, studies show that the medication doesn't really have much effect on people; that a placebo has the same effect most times. So what does that tell us? I suppose that could be a good argument for willing yourself into a state of happiness. Much like 'you are what you eat', I suppose if you have positive thoughts then positive things can happen to you that would make you happy. But is that a smoke screen? Is being an optimist setting yourself up for a fall (which is a much farther drop from being a pessimist)? There are two ways of thinking about it...being in a state of spending all day long hoping optimistically that good things are going to happen... or preparing for/expecting the worse so that when something good does happen, it's true/definite and is a positive move upward... rather than expecting it to happen and not moving upward in elation when it does happen because you expected it to to begin with. Is being an optimist any different than being on medication (trying to achieve a consistent state of happiness)? I'm not advocating either (optimist or pessimist) in this post.
Posting the musical piece The Plaint and subsequently Bach's Toccata En Fugue makes me realize that a lot of the music that I love is filled with angst, tragedy and pain, with overtone's of suffering. I guess that is what I most identify with in these pieces... and in life, to a degree. A self-proclaimed realist with a strong sense of sarcasm, I'm not the poster-child for bubbly and happy. Not looking for concern or sympathy, I am simply stating that my depression is a huge part of who I am as a person. Unless you have it, it's hard to understand that it is an involuntary state of being and that being medicated isn't always the answer. In fact, sometimes it contributes to the problem. With my biological mother and her antics and my biological father and his suicide serving as a mental foundation of my being and adding to it a number of other outside occurances along the way, and it's no wonder that I am the way I am. And although societally unacceptable, maybe it is who I am and that's all I can ever hope to be?
On one hand, being depressed is a sense of feeling for me, and although it's on the side of extreme anxiety, anguish and pain, at least I am feeling something. I feel a comfort in it since it's what I am used to. On the other hand, it doesn't make me play well with others. As I get older, I find myself becoming more withdrawn, solitary and inward. With only two moods (extremely up and extremely down), it makes it difficult for people to be around me, I'm sure. So, when feeling down, I isolate myself, afraid to let people see the real me... and when I'm up, it feels like I'm putting on a show and people like being around me more, which only makes me isolate myself more. And because my thoughts (that never stop racing) can go from 'what a beautiful sunny day' to 'why bother' in a matter of seconds without any cause, my life is a rollercoaster of highs and lows... and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about not wanting to continue. Depression isn't not understanding that you don't have a purpose... it's knowing that you should feel differently than you do. I worry that without Shelby... and someday without my Dad to take care of, I will take off for a solitary life in the desert. Running doesn't seem to be the answer though, since I'll still be there.
I don't want to be this person. I don't want to be the one to bring people down. Self-evaluation, therapy, medication, self-help books, workshops... I've tried a number of things. It's a constant downward spiral... the more I feel that I have to be someone else, the more I turn inward and hide, afraid that no one would want to be around me. For whatever reason I attract people, it's hard to pull off what they expect me to be, rather than who I am. I don't see myself as others do, possibly. While I feel that I am this big mess, I do have a lot of friends.... are they all gluttons for punishment? Taking pity? Feel like it's too late to pull away? It all makes me more insecure. Stability is what I crave... I'm happiest when I'm stable in the parts of my life... but when I'm not creating problems for myself, life makes sure that I never reach that point. Maybe I'm just at peace with being just 'ok' and that's, well.... ok.




David,
ReplyDeleteI have not known you for very long, nor would I claim to know you very well. However, the thing that interests me most about you is your ability to be strikingly honest with yourself. Whatever label you put on your moods or whatever place in the spectrum of optimism/pessimism you choose to place yourself; you have the rare ability to be honest about it. (Strictly my perception of course) The idea of happiness seems to be just that...an idea. A social idea of a magical list of things we need to do or obtain to be "happy". In my eyes happy does not exist. Not that I don't feel happy or that I don't have bouts of happiness, or even that I myself don't fall prey to pursuing it. But life is full of so many obstacles, obstacles that threaten this mythical frame of mind on a constant basis. I don't think life will ever be void of these obstacles, so a constant state of happiness seems unrealistic. It seems to me, the PURSUIT of this happiness is a much more important thing to focus on. Throw away the happy, and you have a kick ass adventure. Some call it life. If you think about it (or the way I thought about it at least), this idea was only created after civilization prospered and people sat on their porches thinking of things to do. I mean, how would a society survive full of people unmotivated to do anything outside the confines of their immediate survival? The pursuit of happiness of course. The opportunity to explore creative bugs, to do things simply for wanting to. To fill their lives with a new purpose, a new means of contributing to the world. And I think somewhere in the mist of all of that, the waters got muddy. The idea of happiness grew unrestrained until it was something outside of our ability to grasp it.
I guess what I'm trying to get at, is I don't think there is any reason why you should feel that you "...should feel differently than you do." Depression, melancholy, cynicism, and every other mood with a negative connotation are just as much a part of us as those with positive ones. And there is no rule book stating how much time should be spent consumed by any one of em. Who cares about the sharp transitions from one mood to the next, it’s a part of who you are, part of what separates you from the stream of people acting only in the way they think most socially appropriate. You have a refreshingly genuine spirit. One that manifests itself in a beautifully unique representation of the human persona. I think part of being your friend is part of accepting that, even..dare I say...appreciating it. Fearing your friend’s rejection/aversion to this part of you might underestimate just how much your friends value the full scope of your personality. I do not think an analytical awareness (or even an “abnormal” means of expression) of your psyche makes you weird, David… I think it breeds wisdom, individuality, and character.
Berry
I'm surprised that anyone read this post... being that it's like a chapter in a book... I feel like I lose people at the start if they see it's too long of a post. But I appreciate that you read it, Berry, and responded with a novel yourself. Beautifully executed and eloquently written, it was very moving for me... and also made me think.
ReplyDeleteMy life, measured in jobs and moves mainly, has been a number of adventures. Constantly reinventing myself and my surroundings has been a way for me to keep moving through life. I am thankful for all that I have experienced in life because it has gotten me this far. With suppressing thoughts of finality being my main task of the day, I need to focus on goals to get me from point to point. It's when my mind isn't occupied that I have the hardest time. Organizing my thoughts in this blog was a huge step for me... organizing my life will have to be the next step... and maintaining my goals going forward will have to be a priority and way of life to keep me going.
Being as honest with myself as I can be has been my only saving grace, since it's been knowing my patterns, and verbalizing them, that has allowed me to adapt and change, especially with feeling that there's someone else in my head calling the shots. Being able to play well with myself seems to be the key.
David - Why would you think people wouldn't read that post? It seems to me that the folks who are following your blog are people that are genuinely interested in YOU and in what you're doing and how you are. Good OR bad. I too think you have an uncanny ability to be, sometimes brutally, honest with yourself. It's a trait I admire in you, as I find myself more trying to put blinders on and just charge forward. Maybe it's the mama bear instinct in me - always trying to do what's right for my family alot of times in lieu of what's right for me. I wish I could be more like you instead of constantly running.....
ReplyDeleteAnd I admire you, Jul, for having the strength somewhere in you to keep charging on. Being honest tends to paralyze me.. you don't have that option with a family.
ReplyDelete