Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Jack-of-All-Trades, Master of None

I've done some research into getting my massage license and it seems a bit futile.  If you don't recall, I had to cease doing massage down at gay camp because I wasn't nationally licensed and the issue was pressed.  For me to get licensed (aside from getting letters of recommendations, meeting continuing schooling requirements, a background check, school transcripts and paying a few different fees), I would basically have to restudy on my own the 600+ hours of schooling plus covering things like Chinese medicine, which is not part of the curriculum when I graduated, in order to sit for the test, which has a very low passing rate (and at $250 a try).  And although the $65+ an hour that I earn is a great reason to pursue it, it's all of the great work that I've done... all the people that I've helped... and that it's a part of who I am, I'm good at it and I enjoy it, that has me weighing the options.  It seems like such a waste to walk away from this experience.  I have more research to do before I make a final decision.

Speaking of my many useless qualifications, many of you may not know that I am a certified bartender as well.  I went to bartending school right as I was in massage school as a way to support myself while in massage.  I worked for a busy Marriott across from the hockey stadium for 3 years and have attended the required classes of Tips (Training for Intervention Procedures) in Pennsylvania and TAMS (Techniques of Alcohol Management) in Nevada.

In addition, I am also a licensed Real Estate Agent in Pennsylvania (license in escrow currently) and was licensed in Insurance in Pennsylvania and Ohio.  I have a license to be an unarmed security guard in Nevada as well (don't ask).

Before I started my landscaping business (a.k.a 'pulling weeds) and massage (a.k.a rubbing hairy men (and women)), I was in accounting and management for 25 years, starting out in restaurant and retail management, holding titles such as District Training Manager, Store Manager, Restaurant Manager, Accounting Manager, Controller, Operations Manager and HRIS Analyst/Project Manager... and I accomplished all of that without a degree of any sort.

I replaced my 70 hour weeks of stress and responsibility with being outdoors, putting my hands in the earth, connecting with people on various levels and a certain amount of freedom in my schedule and my life.  I have scaled down my life and I'm happier now than when I was making $75k a year.  It's not for everyone... and it's hard for me not to want to go back into it since it's also what I'm good at and love (to hate), but I've replaced my self worth in the business world with things that make life a better place.

The pictures below are of my day spa that I designed, Body Elements, in 1999, including the ribbon cutting ceremony, my massage room, my Esthetician's room and the waiting room (double click for larger):




2 comments:

  1. bloody hell
    I never knew there was a bartending school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its good that you are researching and giving this sufficient thought. I hope you are happy with your final decision.

    ReplyDelete