Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's Nano Your Business What I'm Listening To...

(A continuing sampling of what's on my Ipod Nano)...

Arvo Part, composer of Spiegel Im Spiegel that I posted a while back, is also composer of this piece, Magnificat, fitting for the events of the last 24 hours.  The video pans through scenes of an era gone by, and the eerie chants remind us of it's death, possibly good, possibly bad, depending how you look at it... or maybe it's magnificent power in strength of productivity, growth, simplicity and solidarity?

What does it envoke in you?

4 comments:

  1. Many of these clips remind me of growing up in the small town of Washington, PA. My Dad was a worker in a "glass factory," and my Mom was a seamstress. They both lost their jobs when local factories sold out to countries abroad, for cheaper labor. Seeing the look of betrayal in their eyes, even for a self-involved 17 yr old, was hard. I still feel a little guilty to this day, for pretending that nothing in our lives had changed, and that things should just keep moving along as always. Maybe that's what helped them get them through; maybe it's just me, trying to make myself feel better. Regardless, I can't help but think that this is part of the reason I am so uninvolved in politics. I have lived through seeing my parents having to re-invent themselves, take responsiblity (regardless of who was in office) mid-life crisis and all, and move on. No casting blame, no wallowing in resentment, no being overwhelmed by a sense of entitlement. Just and old fashioned "suck it up," attitude, and move on. Maybe expecting that people should be able to move one, re-invent, and take responsiblity for themselves in this day and age, is just setting my sights too high. Honestly, I don't know if I would be capable of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Robin... very insightful and well said. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, AP's music is, as always, hauntingly beautiful. As for the video images, I'm sure some would say that they evoke memories of a simpler, more innocent time. While that may be true for some, I see those days as merely a more naive time. A time when the internet and 24/7 cable news didn't thrust the dirty reality of the world around us into our faces.

    ReplyDelete