Thursday, January 27, 2011

Healthcare is Running a Fever

The last time that I had healthcare was probably 6 years ago when I was Controller/Ops Manager for Littlearth, a company that made trendy products out of recycled license plates, bottle caps and tires.  I'll probably jinx myself, but I have been fortunate to not need it, although I sometimes feel like I am sitting on a time bomb if something should happen, especially as I get older.  I guess I figure if something happens, I'll just have to send them what I can for the rest of my life?

I walked by the TV this morning and they were talking about this couple in Virginia that was cancelled because when they paid their bill, they paid it 2 cents short.  2 cents, really?  The ironic thing is that they found out minutes before the husband was about to be sliced open.  They were reinstated, but you have to wonder if the insurance company would have paid the bill if it hadn't been caught and they thought they could get away without covering it.

I used to sell health insurance and, being CLTC certified, long-term care and Medicare plans as well.  I think medical costs and mortgages are the leading reasons for financial ruin.  It would break my heart with the elderly that they would stay with a plan that was worse or more expensive because they didn't like change.  All too often, they were not properly schooled on their options and made a hasty decision and got screwed in the end.  Leaving one plan for another because that's what Gladys down the street had put them in a vulnerable spot when they could be denied for preexisting conditions after they had cancelled their previous coverage.  Eventually, I had to get out of the business.  I couldn't take looking in the face and telling them they were screwed.  Let's face it, insurance companies are betting on the odds that you won't use it and definitely don't have your best interest at hand.

Even though I don't have coverage, the part of Obama's plan that I didn't like was to be forced into getting coverage by law.  I think that people in this country have a warped sense of what Socialism is... forcing someone to do something for the gain of the leader is Socialism... forcing someone to do something that they are too stupid to understand or too stupid to do on their own for their own good is called caring.  I can admit that I can be stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment