Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ghost

A few months ago, one of my former classmates (that actually dated my brother for a while and almost became my sister-in-law) passed away, and it was incredible, the chatter and response that started on Facebook.  "Oh, my God, this is a tragedy"... "I can't believe it"... "she was taken too soon"... and all the while, I thought to myself that she was a crack head since she was 16 and died of an overdose... what's so tragic and unbelievable about that?  You can't abuse your body for that long and expect to live a long life.  All those people didn't give her the time of day throughout her life and yet they fell all over her death.  It seemed a little late, to say the least.

She was 43.  My friend's brother, who was also an addict, was in his mid-forties when he died, as was a lot of my brother's friends who he partied with over time.  Yesterday, my Dad got a call from my brother (45).  Apparently, he had encountered a mild heart attack while in rehab, was taken to the hosptial and was released today back to rehab.  I'm not sure if it's because I have been fed so many lies from him over the years and don't know what to believe... or I've detached myself emotionally as a defense mechanism... but I felt nothing.

I suppose I could easily justify my lack of feeling by listing all that he's done and all we've been through, but when it comes right down to it, I don't care whether my brother lives or dies...in fact, I dream of the peace that it will bring to everyone involved when he is gone.  That's a hard realization to admit, and unleashes feelings of emptiness, guilt and anger in me.  I feel empty because I am unable to conjure feelings for this person... guilty for finally (and justifiably) walking away... and angry that he and his behavior turned me into this person... a person that feels more for a stranger on the street... maybe because with that stranger, there are possibilities and hopes of a normal interaction... something that is long-gone with my brother. 

It's easy to judge me.  If you haven't encountered the animal that they become... and the wrath of shit that it brings... you can't imagine.  It's an experience that bears no value, except maybe to the addicts that pull themselves out of it and apply the lessons learned and is able to move forward.  We, however, are left with hurt, mistrust, anger, defeat and a half dozen other emotions that only darken our soul.  Gone is any glimpse of who my brother was, replaced with a hopeless, hollow shell of a person... a ghost... and a part of us becomes the same.

4 comments:

  1. It must be hard to have to grieve for someone who is gone but will not leave (I personally need closure of some kind). I am a firm believer that being family doesn't give someone a blank check to keep drawing on.

    You have to shut down the connection or you will be emptied financially, emotionally, physically... some people are takers and will never do anything but make you "less".

    Sorry for your loss... I know it will never be easy, but I hope you can truly move on from that toxic relationship.

    Try to look at the bright side - you were raised in the same environment and became more... maybe that can be some consolation???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother my brother
    Tell me what are fighting for
    We've got to end this war
    We should love one another
    Oh, can't we just pretend
    This war never began
    We can try
    Brother my brother

    We face each other from different sides
    The anger burns can't remember why
    It's kind of crazy to cause so much pain
    Our foolish pride makes us hate this way

    We watch our world fall apart
    Tell me what good is winning
    When you lose your heart

    Let's take a moment and look deep inside
    And say we'll learn to give love a try
    When matters differ as we seem to be
    There's so much more to me than what you see

    You don't have to be this way
    Think about the consequences
    Turn around and walk away

    Brother my brother
    Tell me what are fighting for
    Isn't life worth so much more
    We should love one another
    Oh, can't we just pretend
    This war never began
    Tell me why
    Brother my brother

    "Brother My Brother" - Blessid Union of Souls

    See also, "The Blowing, Plastic Bag"
    by David (2/16/10)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, that couldn't have been easy to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the disease of addiction, probably worse than cancer since it can be a "slow kill" for everyone involved. The addict who will eventually kill themselves from ODing or an acquired secondary problem. And the "slow kill" of the family. The "slow kill" of the emotional state of all involved. After giving the addict their 45th chance, after helping the addict get to work cause their license is suspended. After altering your life in a breath of hope that this rehab time will be the one where the addict wakes up and smells the coffee. Little by little the loving, caring family member is completely spent on emotional love. Is completely exhausted and so so tired. There are no more tears to shed, only fake smiles now are produced in the addicts presence. Like a beaten horse, the family member has to try to pick themselves up for friends and other gatherings where people may not understand the mood that lingers from the prior presence of the addict. So many faces have to be created by the family member, and yet, only the people who truly love you see right through the fake face of the day. Others, label the family member as rude, obnoxious and quite moody. If they only knew.......

    Love U

    ReplyDelete