Friday, January 21, 2011

Flighty As The Wind

Despite Pittsburgh being a town in the snow belt, I guess it still shocks me how stupid people can be.  We finally got the snow storm they talked about, but only about 3 or 4 inches... no big deal, right?  Wrong!  After my first day back at the gym yesterday (where I burned 500 calories doing cardio (isn't that how many calories are in a Tic-Tac?)), I decided to go back out to Barnes and Noble for my skinny hazelnut latte, figuring I'd be snowed in for 3 weeks.  The roads started to get bad right around the time they predicted, so I flipped it in four-wheel drive and headed for home, coming up on a young man (cute... would I have stopped otherwise?  We'll never know) who managed to run his 1993 Olds Cutlass Ciera off the road, taking out a row of shrubs and a fire hydrant, with his bald-as-Telly-Savalas tires to blame.  Long story short, home owner comes out and apparently the same thing happened a month prior, so he was all ready.  I got my towing chain, we got the police to stop traffic and he towed it out with his manly-muscle Chevy truck.  I truly had big truck envy, since I don't think my V6 would have done the trick so easily... The lesson:  I should-a had a V8 (sorry, couldn't resist).  Fortunately, they make hydrants break-away now, so there wasn't a ton of water shooting up.

I did our driveway this morning and then went over to my Aunt's house.  She has to get out of the house or she gets more batshit crazier than she already is, so needless to say, she was antsy in anticipation of my arrival, standing there when I pulled in.  While I love the snow blower, success really depends on the wind and the layout of the driveway, since not having anywhere to shoot the snow makes it hard and shooting snow in the wind, much like peeing in the wind, doesn't provide a good outcome (unless you go for that sort of thing).  I'm wet, tired and ready for taking in a movie or two today.  Probably go see Ashton's new one... the one with all the gratuitous sex... and another one with Matt later on this evening.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad I read your stuff...I had forgotten the inconveniences of snow and all that you have to do. I will not even go out to my back porch here when it goes below 50 degrees...and I don't think that I would be happy living in the snow again...hell, I don't think I would even survive.

    thanks for your post
    saludos,
    raulito

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it really 5 degrees in Pittsbugh now (as I read the thermometer on your blog)? The one winter I lived in Pittsburgh I remember crossing the street in East Liberty and sliding into the curve and losing my bag of groceries and oranges rolling in all directions across the road in the gray, dirty, slushy snow. Some memories stay with you forever. This was on of them.

    ReplyDelete