Thursday, January 6, 2011

Oil Change

The other day, an opportunity arose as I was visiting my friend Scott from camp.  On the verge of getting their liquor license that will allow them to have a full bar, they need a bartender.  While I know that I have the experience, schooling, qualifications and overall frame of mind to do it, there's a disconnect between the logic in my head in what seems to be a good fit and not feeling like it will happen, regardless of how obvious it seems that it should happen.  Call it years of being disappointed, negative thinking or just plain thinking that I don't deserve anything good to come to me, but any of those usually have guaranteed a self-fulfilling prophecy in my life.

It's funny with 'deserving'.  Most people are on one spectrum or the other.  Either they think they deserve much more than they do, or much less.  There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.  Sadly, the people who think they deserve everthing (handed to them on a silver platter) are usually the furthest from actuality.  They usually don't put the work in necessary to warrant the benevolent action (which tends to be something that they really don't need/want or is irrational to begin with).  On the other hand, the selfless person who works at such a high level of productivity, say in a work situation or in love or doing nice things, tends to get trampled over by the un-deserving and self-serving.  Being confident, having a set of balls and opening your mouth seems to be what 'gets' and the opposite just gets you disappointed. 

The squeaky wheel, gets the oil.  Good things come to those that wait?  Good guys finish last?  What's the correct cliche'?

4 comments:

  1. Growing up, my parents always told us that at the end of the day, there is only one person who we should expect to look out for us and have our best interests in mind... Go look in the mirror.

    I have found that there are a LOT more than just that one person - many people have supported me. But I agree with them to an extent... The saying "the best things come to those who wait" is a bunch of crap. You have to want it, work for it, and jump for it...

    Good Luck has to be there too, but I think the saying that fits best is "nothing ventured, nothing gained"...

    Go for it David... YOU deserve good stuff as much as anybody else.

    (and I'll have a Long Island please).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look, circumstances and stupidity on the part of others are there to offer you a glass ceiling...that is bad enough...so you have to fight that as well as your own uncertainties. It is not easy...particularly if those around you are stupid and wicked.
    Don't blame it all on yourself either. You are quite capable and just not ready yet perhaps.
    saludos,
    raulito

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say forget about 'deserving' because that assumes that life is always fair, which it sometimes isn't. If you desire to have the bartender job (for which you know you are qualified), then you must only think positive thoughts about getting it. Think about your success in getting the job as if its already happened; a foregone conclusion. This will relieve stress and build confidence. That is what I've been doing with becoming a real estate agent and I can't tell you how much it has helped me. Good luck D@vid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to avoid the word 'deserve' as it conjures of judgment, and a sense lie should be fair, when it ain't. I concur a lot with Mr.Mark of DE>

    ReplyDelete