The other day, I wrote a post talking about relationships (Juggling Life), and Robin posted a very good question (above)... why won't I let a relationship happen... of which there are a number of reasons:
1. I have a long history of relationships, one after another spanning 3-5 years, from the night of my 21st birthday up until 3 years ago, so my openness to love was much greater and more trusting back then. I think that I believed in love back then.
2. I am a much different person than I was then. I'm much more guarded, jaded and enjoy my solitude now. I think I view a relationship as threatening to my alone time.
3. I have gone through much more in my life since then and have come to realize that I don't need someone like I thought I did. I endured a lot of pain which changed me.
4. I have done a lot in the name of a relationship in the past that got me nowhere but broke, broken and broke-down.
5. The world has changed. Finding someone who wants a committed relationship these days is difficult, thanks mostly to the internet.
6. With my Dad living with me, I have made a committment to him. Because of that, I don't know what my idea of a relationship looks like any more.
7. I still have partial feelings for Jesse that will probably never go away, or at the very least, will make me compare our connection with any new situation.
8. Having the blog exposes me and gives the other person insight to who I am before I even get a chance to see if I like them.
9. I have become attracted to the look of an younger guy, but want the life experience of the older guy, but he's too busy looking at the younger guy as well.
10. With many friends in bad relationships, I simply won't settle just to be in a relationship or in love.
With all the reasons I gave, one that would be more common would be not wanting to be hurt. I really don't have that fear. As conceited as it may wind up sounding, I have never experienced anything like it other than the simplicity of a schoolgirl crush that went unnoticed or unresponded. While I still see myself as the awkward, ugly unpopular teen (spending most of my time trying to put myself out there forcing people to like me for who I am), people don't see me like I do. Unfortunately, no matter what compliment, whether about how I look or who I am, I don't believe it. Maybe because my identity, like old people with ailments that they become, is the broken kid who was sexually harrassed, adopted, gay, blah blah blah... because that's all I know how to portray. As a result, maybe I further become that person every day and it influences my life more than I'd like to acknowledge.
Very insightful and painfully honest. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWow, talk about opening a vein. Brave of you to share so openly.
ReplyDeleteI, too, had several semi-longterm relationships, some ending badly, one ending horribly, one just ended. So, I, too, thought, "Well, I can just be happy on my own, I don't need a relationship." I was alone, not lonely, and I went on like that for a couple of years until I met Carlos--okay, on the internet--and we've been together now 10+ years. So, I sometimes think NOT looking is a good thing, but I also think if you know you don't want a relationship, then people should respect that.
But do keep an open mind that it may happen, and it may not be perfect--because none of us are perfect--and it may need work--what relationship doesn't?--but if it's what you want, and what he wants, flaws can be overlooked, or flaws can be the thing that makes you love that other person.
I just discovered your blog and enjoy it buddy.I couldn't agree more with some of your thoughts around relationships, as I become older (mid-forties) I am finding I really enjoy my solitude and just being able to do whatever or maybe it is because I have become so damn picky..lol..I have given up searching for the "one" and hey maybe it will happen one day and can I fantasize he will take me on an actual date!!
ReplyDeleteGreat blog. Thank you for sharing! H.
ReplyDelete