Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Cue Circus Big-Top Theme for the Juggler
Going from the self-proclaimed 'Year of the Wiener' last year (coming to terms with my body and nudity) to this year's theme, 'No Means No', I have entered into a no bullshit zone, pushing back on situations where I am taken advantage in one way or another or when boundaries are overstepped. In the past, I would simply put myself last, and I'm not doing it any more. I have had success in not accepting behaviors from my brother (and he is doing well in rehab), my nephew (who is doing well in his new apartment and job and paying his obligations) and with a few friends, so it obviously doesn't help anyone to accept that behavior.
Life is hard to juggle, but most difficult seems to be relationships, be it love interest or friendships, with family bringing up the rear (or fucking you up the proverbial rear, as the case may be). We are all so very different and taking into consideration each other's baggage, personalities, weaknesses, quirks, and habits and it's a wonder that we're all not walking around slugging each other, let alone carrying on productive interactions. To act with poor behavior is bad, and accepting it from others is just as bad. It's a give and take... but too often, either side is taking too much and not giving. Honesty, self-reflection and responsibility are some of the things that have to be present for it to work.
While I am constantly trying to examine and better myself and make necessary changes, I know that I am not an easy person. The complexity that I rarely understand about myself doesn't help matters. For instance, I give a lot, and expect a lot and I'm often disappointed. I recognize that this, among other characteristics, holds me back in my relationships. I feel good about my thought process with it though... in that the saddest part for me is not the lack of being able to find a decent person, but rather in the realization that I will never let it happen any way, often holding people at arm's length. That makes me lonely... but not a bitter, projecting loneliness, so I guess that's good. I'm still under construction... one of these days, I will get it right.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
"While I am constantly trying to examine and better myself and make necessary changes, I know that I am not an easy person. The complexity that I rarely understand about myself doesn't help matters. For instance, I give a lot, and expect a lot and I'm often disappointed."
ReplyDeleteFrom your lips to my ears - in this, we are very similar!
Or THEY will. I can't tell you how many times I have seen you talk in your blog about holding people at arms length; however, this is the first time I have ever seen you actually state, "I will never let it happen any way." I would love to see you go a step further, and share your "why's."
ReplyDeleteYou deserve complete and utter happiness; joy, sunshine, and smiles, every single day. This includes a loving, committed, long-term, monogamous relationship, yet you are admittedly sabotaging potential relationships, before they have a chance to blossom.
A partnership lends the expectation that each person contributes something while expecting to share in the profits and losses. The right person will be on the same page with you. Devil's advocate, I can't help but wonder how many potential "right partnerships" you have willingly let slip by.
You are one of the most kind, generous, fair and practical person's, I have ever met. I beg you find the sirens and whistles that go off in your head, continually causing you this swift retreat.
Life is all about change and growth and learning; it should never stop being like that. Until we understand ourselves and our behaviors, we can't expect others to do so.
ReplyDeleteIt's a journey.
oh I wouldn't bother trying to get it right; but being a lifelong construction job is a good thing. I hope this is so for both of us.
ReplyDelete