Friday, January 14, 2011

Country Strong

I went to see Country Strong today by myself.  We've seen the story several times in real life (most recently with Britney and Lindsay) and in the movies.... a superstar's fall from grace and attempt to get back on top, but it's the acting of the ensemble that's so wonderful in this one.  Battling alcoholism and a difficult marriage, Kelly Canter (Gwenyth Paltrow) gets out of rehab a little too early, still battling the demons and nay-sayers of her last concert where, drunk, she stumbles over a mic cord and falls off stage, losing her 5 month old baby.  Her husband (Tim McGraw) fights to get her on top again so she doesn't go out in bad light, even though you get the feeling that she doesn't want it any more.  You can't help rooting for her.  While she's no superstar singer herself, she does a great job with the songs and even better capturing the angst of Kelly.  Tim McGraw, who also gave a great performance in the Blind Side, has become one of my favorite actors.  With supporting actors Garrett Hedlund and Leighton Meester (who give great acting and singing performances), it's a great watch.  There are some dark overtones, however... otherwise, it wouldn't be a country song movie.  I was choked up several times and the ending will leave you speechless.  It's definitely a must-see...

2 comments:

  1. What a GREAT review! You have me wanting to go to the cinema and I usually like to wait for them to show up on TV... I will be sure to take my Kleenex

    Roger Ebert - WATCH OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip David. I'm always on the lookout for good movie recommendations. I like Gwenyth Paltrow. I haven't seen Tim McGraw yet but I'm looking forward to seeing him in a movie. I still choke up when Bette Davis goes up those stairs at the end of "Dark Victory."

    ReplyDelete