Yesterday, I got a call from Matt that Nick, his dog, hadn't been doing well getting around and was at the dog sitter's. Since his flight was delayed, I went and picked Nick up and took him home and sat with him until Matt got home around midnight. Having been given an estimated 2-3 months (5 months ago), Nick had been doing really well, albeit losing weight and dealing with the tumors... but he was very happy and even active. When I picked him up at the sitter's, he couldn't walk and was very tired. He was very happy to see Matt when he walked through the door, but it was more of the same today with little hope of him getting any stronger and, hopped up on pain meds, whether he was suffering or not, so it was time.
Nick was one of the most loyal dogs I've ever seen, with a communication between them that didn't require words. Almost 14, he never rested, always looking to see what Matt was doing and followed him around endlessly by his side. I met them at a park this afternoon and we sat in the sun. Last night, while at my feet, not able to get up... Nick was sleeping and you could see that he was dreaming... all four of his legs moving as if he was running in the woods like he always has... and now, he is again...
This is one of my favorite songs from Lord of the Rings... and my definite favorite of Annie Lennox...
Into The West - For Nick


How very sad. My condolences to Matt.
ReplyDeleteAw, David.......I'm so sorry - please tell Matt that I send my sympathies.... If anyone understands, I do. Losing our beloved Harry a year ago in January really threw us all for a loop. I still miss him so much. There will never be a replacement, but it does help to think that he's running free somewhere - pain free. Nick was a beautiful dog - and was obviously a loyal friend to the end.
ReplyDeleteThe Last Battle
ReplyDeleteIf it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
-- Unknown
Awww...Very sad.
ReplyDelete