Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Day Was Just Ducky


I can't believe it's almost May.  Time is flying by and, lately, I feel like a dog with his head out the car window with life whizzing by me.  When I get in this work mode, I lose track of time and days and all the things that are going on around me.  Since I'm losing my mind as I get older, it's harder for me to concentrate on too many things at once any more... not that the things that are going on aren't somewhat major... I mean, I'm not staying up nights wondering what shirt I'm going to wear with what pants or what color to pick for an accent wall in the bathroom.  There's some major stuff I'm still under pressure with.  For instance, Elaine went into the hospital today for a scheduled surgery to remove the kidney stone that didn't pass last month... and now she's in a lot of pain and they have to figure out why.  Meanwhile, they found a 6 centimeter cyst on her ovaries that they still don't know what's what about.  All the while, I'm her executor for her estate and power of attorney and I really didn't want to think about all that at this point in our lives.

I worked with my brother again today.  I should just stop there and spare you, but if I have to live it first-hand, then you all should at least get (have) to experience it.  With only two more bushes to cut down before cleaning up the project area and being done, my brother found a nest of large eggs (as big as you'd scramble).  So he called me to tell me (I was on my way to the compost site with a load of branches).  Then a duck appeared and he called me to tell me that.  Then the duck was looking through the pile of bushes for it's eggs and he called me to tell me that.  He wondered if ducks would attack (like in the movie Howard the Duck) and he called me to ask me that.  4 phone calls later, I got back to the parking lot to find my brother chasing/tunneling the duck towards the eggs, with the duck taking off and circling and dive-bombing back down again.  If I didn't know for sure that my brother was sober and was being tested, I would have figured him to be high on cracked-cocaine or some shit.  All the while, I kept thinking... how does someone repeatedly fuck over their family with no conscience or remorse and then spend hours putting out an Amber Alert on some found duck eggs, dreaming of a reunion worthy of a Lassie show (the one where Lassie gets lost and Timmy finds her (Lassie, Come Home?))  SEE BELOW.  Requiring constant interaction, I think even my brother was above his stimulation levels for the day and I on my last gay nerve... and I quickly realized that production was a lost hope and I took him home and went back and finished it myself.  This was my day.  This is my life.

Almost a year ago today, I bought a chainsaw and it broke.  I followed the warranty info on the broken part, but the company that was handling it for me went bankrupt, so I took it back to Home Depot, bitched, and got all my money back. Considering that I've cut down probably 50 trees with that thing, it turned out to be a great deal, in the end... and I almost feel badly about it.  In other shopping news, every year for my birthday, DSW Shoe Store sends me a coupon and, if you're lucky and you time it with another coupon, you can save big.  I was able to find my old-school Adidas tennis shoes and, with my $25 off in coupons, I paid $30 for them.  Shopping-wise, it was an awesome day, especially for me who usually doesn't buy anything.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment