I don't know if you've ever cut a hole in a formica top for a sink or not, but it aint easy, that's for sure... for many reasons. One wrong cut and you're done... you have to go get another top. I managed not to mess it up, got the sink attached... attached the base cabinets to the wall and the countertop to the base cabinets... a little plumbing magic and voila... water that goes down a drain. Other than a light cleaning... and gluing on the countertop end piece... and changing out the knobs... the kitchen is done. Tomorrow, I will do a few odds and ends and clean the entire house... and it will be listed on Monday.
I had to get some copper fittings to solder to the existing pipes so that I could hook up the sink and the first time around, I got the wrong size. Long story short, I told my Dad to shut the water off so that I could open the lines and have it all drain out so I could solder. I had had enough for the day at that point, we both left the house, I went and got the right fittings and was going to go home... but something told me to go back and get the soldering done. I walked in the house and the water was pouring out of the kitchen pipes, through the floor and into the basement. Here, my Dad didn't turn the shutoff valve off enough. Thank goodness I went back 20 minutes later instead of waiting until tomorrow.
When things like that happen, there are a miriad of things that go through my mind. I don't double check what my Dad does because I don't want to make him feel useless and he wants to help... or I don't get mad at the outcome. What upsets me is that my Dad is getting older. And things like his strength and mind are going. I feel like that strong Dad that can fix anything is slipping away. And since I've never really been close with him until the last couple of years... I can't help but feel a void in my life of time missed. But, the old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be... are any of us though?



No comments:
Post a Comment