One of my favorite sayings, with regard to children, is "ill-behaved". I think that supercedes the terms 'brat', 'terror' and even 'satan's spawn'. You can't really laugh at it... it's pretty much indisputable as well and it sounds like it comes from someone that sounds like they know what they're talking about. It's such an inclusive broad sweep of bad behavior, but not overly specific. If someone said that to you about your child, you'd have to go home and think it over.
When we were kids, we had 'the look'. Even if my Mom had to give it to you, you were already screwed. Out came the wooden spoon and we would get a few good smacks. Maybe if she actuallly cooked, it would be dirty and we wouldn't get it so much... but we did graduate to the belt. One time, I actually got paddled in school for throwing an eraser at Diane Harbison's head.... it was classic... it left a chalk mark and everything. There was a cloud of dust like Pigpen from Charlie Brown. And when it settled, you just knew she was bound to tell.
Point is... kids need a good smack every once in a while. It was good for us and we turned out ok... ish. Nowadays, CPS will be knocking down your door before the welts go down, taking your kids, etc. Is that so bad? If I had a bad kid, I'd give 'em a good smack just to get someone to take them off my hands (although I'd have to weigh the loss of a tax deduction). Afterall, it couldn't possibly be my parenting skills, right? Surely, if I can make a kid, that makes me qualified. For all the things that you need to get a license for, popping out a child isn't one of them.
My Mom used to say "stop it or I'll give you a reason to cry".... there's no debating or negotiating that... and, again, it worked for us. Oh... I'm available for babysitting if anyone needs it (works every time).

My upbringing was very much the same. But my mom cooked alot. My dad hit us alot with the spoon then after so many broke onto the leather belt what a mess. We like david came up well. Tuff sometimes looking back those times werent that bad in fact i wish I could live it again. Matt Menzel
ReplyDeleteI almost peed my pants at the Diane Harbison story.....you really were a bad seed! :)
ReplyDelete