With the weather we have been having, it's hard to believe that Turkey Day is here and Xmas is only a month beyond. When I was growing up, we used to have a foot of snow on the ground from Nov 1st until March, it seemed. Now, despite the threat of a hard winter from the 'officials', it hardly seems like we're going to see any snow at all. And me with my new 4X4 revved up and ready to go, looks like jumping curbs at Walmart will be the most 'off-roading' I will see.
I have experienced a lot of death in the family in the month of December (My Mom, Shelby, my Aunt, and 2 Uncles), so it's never a good time for me to begin with, so I thought I would make a concerted effort this year. Ever since my Mom passed, she took Xmas with her, so to speak. My Dad doesn't decorate any more, he didn't have people over like we used to, he doesn't make his pizelles... things change. Now, living with him, I really wanted to make it special for him this year, but with my seminar on the 5th and 6th, and leaving for Florida on the 7th through the 21st, I'll hardly be here. It's also strange in Florida around Xmas.. with the hot weather, palm trees and beach, it's hardly a scene out of Norman Rockwell. More like... "over the Intercoastal and past the beach, to Aunt Ida's house in Miami we go... the cab knows the way to carry the gay, past the margarheta bars and T-shirt places and 8 lane highways...." (well, you get the picture). I also wanted to have a family and friends get together here at the new place.... first Xmas here and all. And after a 'friend' pointedly allowed me to have it only after reviewing, editing and supervising the guest list, I decided not to do it at all and, subsequently, wouldn't have been here any way.
I am thankful that my Dad is still kicking. The man doesn't have a bad bone in his body... he'd give the shirt off his back (which is probably mine, since he gets all my hand-me-downs now that he's shrinking)... if there is anyone who deserves to become a Saint, it's him. I have tried to pattern myself after him my whole life... truly a great person. I am thankful for my friends... we have an interesting bunch and while we tease each other about our shortcomings, it's in that ferver that is a true knowing of each other... a special bond... a keeping it real and pushing each other to be better than we are... at least those who are willing to look at themselves. Lastly, I am thankful to find the strength to keep moving forward in my life. I want to challenge myself and who I am, what I'm about and how I treat people. It's only when you are in the company of those greater than you that you strive to be more... and I, now , have some truly incredible people around me. I'm a more peaceful me in sorting through the crap and moving on, be it with people I thought were friends, my own self-help or whatever comes at me.

good self awareness is something you may have gotton from your dad
ReplyDelete