Friday, November 6, 2009

Progress(ively Going Backwards)

Today was a disaster. I didn't get anything done that I had planned. After feeling sick last week and pissing around this week, I finally got motivated to go back over to my Dad's to do more work on the bathroom. However, just as I was getting ready to leave the house (not really, I was watching Supernanny reruns), my Dad calls... his truck died near town. So I had to change my plans (get up) and head down there to figure it out for him. After Triple A got there, it was surmised that the alternator went bad (imagine after 135,000 miles). Fortunately, the tow truck driver (cute as a button although somewhat grimy) said if we took it back to his garage, he could have it done in an hour. 55 minutes later and $245.00 less, we were back on our way. My morning was shot (now that it was 3:30 p.m.), so (boo hoo) I didn't get to do any work at the house.


I decided to head to Barnes and Nobel to read my magazines (Us, People, Star, OK, Entertainment Weekly, Life & Style and In Touch)... and what to my wondering eyes do I see? Not my magazines, that's for sure. B&N has a habit of putting them out later than any other store. I was so pissed I didn't get to read my $85 worth of free magazines, I actually thought about paying for subscriptions. Nah.


From there, I thought I would head over to the new 'Market District' Giant Eagle. Developed to rival Trader Joes and Whole Foods, it looked more like a stroll through Epcot Center at Disneyland. So kitchy, trying to simulate the feel an open-air market in Europe, it missed it's mark. First, the infrastructure around it wasn't made for the traffic. There were 30+ cars in the turning lane and the parking lot was a total cluster-fuck. Poorly designed, not enough of it and cars parked everywhere, every single Robinson Township "SUPPIE" (Suburban, Urban-wanna-bee Professionals) obviously had nothing to do on a Friday night but head there to see the giant cheese sculpture and use their $2 off coupon. I think they thought this was their big chance to go to a foreign country (less the frequent flyer miles and passsport), since many have never ventured over a bridge, much less an ocean. With too many winding aisles, props that were pretentiously not needed, taste testing booths, big slabs of dried meat... it was jam-packed with people trying to get a free piece of cheese and a cracker... it was a mess... you couldn't move. There were some different things on the shelves, but mostly the normal brands... it looked like a little village in Italy bought out the Wal-mart and stocked their shelves. It had a dry cleaners, beer, crepe station, cafe, hot and cold buffets... once you got in here, there's no reason to leave (although I didn't run across a bedding department).

Build it, and they will (put on their Steeler apparel, get all their under-achiever kids in their SUV's and) come.

No comments:

Post a Comment