What a fantastic movie. With subject matter that is hard to watch, I was glued to my seat. Such riveting performances from new-comer Gabourey Sidibe, Mo'Nique and even Mariah Carey (with no makeup on)... I can see why the movie is getting such buzz and accolades. It will definitely be a contender for multiple oscars.
Clareece 'Precious' Jones is an iliterate, overweight, black teen in Harlem and comes from a broken family... broken promises, broken laws and broken bones, more like it. Pregnant with her second child from her..... wait for it.... father..... she takes constant physical and mental beatings from her mother as well. Thrown out of school for being pregnant, she is given the chance in an alternative school, where she finds out what friendship, love and a second chance is all about. One bad thing happening to her after another, she still manages to rise above it all to be anything but what her mother is. This story reminds me so much of my own situation... being a poor, stupid black girl living on a farm with an abusive husband... I used to tell myself.... "all's you need to do is cut him while you are shaving him and you'll be free at last.... free to be reunited with your sister Nettie in Africa and go slummin' around with the likes of Shug Avery"... oh wait, that wasn't me... that was Miss Celie in the Color Purple.
Sadly, the audience was miserable. With the language being very coarse and the movie being graphic and thematic (to say the least), some people brought their children, from ages 2 - 10, to see it. I can't even imagine. And every single person in the movie would not stop talking constantly. Like it was audience participation or some shit. Very nerve-racking... but I remained calm and didn't explode (mainly because we were outnumbered and would have been cut), but it ruined it a bit for me. Still, I give the movie 5 slaps upside the head out of 5. That's the highest any have gotten on my blog to date. Definitely a 'must-see' movie.

I wanted to see this movie.......good review
ReplyDeleteStill want to see this. We went to see "The Blind Side" instead. Also a very good movie. Sandra Bullock is awesome!
ReplyDeletesee dec 1st post
ReplyDelete