Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tolerance for Jaggers, Bugs and Diversity

One of my favorite Pittsburghese sayings is calling someone a 'jagoff'... but a twist on that (that I like just as much) is calling someone a 'jagger-ass'.  I'm not sure what it means or where it came from, but maybe that's it's appeal... ambiguity.  Anyway, the reason I thought about that today was that I was doing a project for my Uncle, chainsawing branches on his pine trees up 8 feet on the tree and cleaning out the areas underneath... which had a boat-load of jagger bushes and poison 'ivory', as I say it.  In fact, there was as much poison ivory under those trees as there were Poppies in the field outside Oz.  If I don't get it from head to toe, then I will take that as a sign from God that I am the 'Chosen One', and will try to walk on water or some shit.  Anyway, I'm only half-way done, and will probably have to go back tomorrow to finish.



This year was definitely more 'buggy' than last... I guess with the warmer weather, they're out in droves, and mulling around in the bushes is as good a place as any to find them.  Today, these big bugs kept flying overhead...

Actually, those were the Air Force's Thunderbirds.  With the airport being only a mile away and them having an air show to commemorate 9/11, they were flying over my head all day long... loud and low.  I attempted to get pictures a half dozen times, but they were so fast... but I finally got this shot.  I also saw the Stealth Bomber go overhead as well.  I'm not sure what it is, but I always feel so touched with patriotism when I see them... imagine living in a country where they jet fighters fly over as often as a Southwest Airlines plane.  We take so much for granted in this country.  On this day, 9 years ago, the tragedy that occurred is still fresh on everyone's mind.  President Obama gave a nice speech today urging Americans to stand strong to the values of diversity and tolerance, which is refreshing to hear, since all we heard from the previous administration is vengeance and retaliation.  My wise friend, Bob, said it best... "Hate cannot change the past and will not enhance your future". 

What would an American patriotic day be without Lee Greenwood's cheeseball song, "God Bless the USA"... this is the 9/11 version....

1 comment:

  1. John and Dan worked the airshow today - making cheesesteaks.....it feels weird to be out here missing it. We're having fun, but I'll be glad to get home.

    ReplyDelete