Monday, December 6, 2010

Snow Falling On Cedars

The title of this post comes from a movie and, although I like the movie, I really just like the title.  It suggests a simple, quiet, magical place without the hustle and bustle of our lives.  It's been snowing off and on over the weekend, but nothing has stuck to the ground.  We're supposed to be getting some snow in a blowing storm off Lake Erie today into tomorrow and may get 3-8 inches, which will be the first accumulation of the year.

I remember when I was a kid, I had a paper route and there would be times where I would be delivering papers around 4 or 5 p.m. after school and it would be dark and the big flakes would be falling.  I'd stop on my way and just listen to the snow fall.  I don't think there's anything more peaceful, except maybe sitting on the beach, listening to the waves.  I leave for Florida on Sunday.  With not too much going on this week for me, it will be a nice transistion from the snow to the beach... one of the few times where I didn't have a stressful pre-vacation week.  Perfect timing.  The point is that we rarely stop for one minute to appreciate the little things... the beautiful things. Allow yourself a minute or two to watch the video.

One of my favorite poems is by Robert Frost:

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening (first two verses)

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.


My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhhh......Jr. High Chorus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David - I love the new background and updates and you blog about being a paperboy reminded me of the times I would deliver the papers early on a Sunday morning and it would be so peaceful that I would stop under the street lamps and just watch it come down without a soul around! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frost has always been one of my favorite American poets. And like "Anonymous", I remember singing this song in varsity choir in junior high school. We also did a song set to the poem "Choose Something Like A Star". Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete