Recently, a very good friend of mine asked me to join her at Christmas eve mass to share in a moment of peace and tranquility and that I wouldn't have to partake in the rituals (stand up, sit down, kneel, pray, be fondled, wash the Priest's Lincoln, etc.). I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't instantly enraged at the idea of being put in that position, especially with her knowing my stance on religion. After I rationalized that she is a great person and didn't merely want to see if I would spontaneously combust stepping foot in a religious venue for the entertainment of the parishioners, I calmed down a bit. My next line of thought was why she'd want me, someone who ridicules the rituals and who would be at anything but peace throughout, to accompany her, followed by how I could sit there and not do all the rigmarole that those around me were doing unless I was sitting in the confessional and nobody would see me. Somewhere in there was having to get dressed up and not wear a hat... and lastly, and this is the biggie... how could I step foot in an institution that thinks that I am going to hell... and should be stoned in the center of town... and shouldn't be allowed to marry... and (the list goes on).
In the past, I have attended Catholic churches... Presbyterian... and non-denominational (my favorite cause we sang a lot) churches. I have read many books, including excerpts from the Bible. I have engaged in many conversations about the logic of some of the scripture resulting in backing the person into a corner where they have no logical answer, which I guess is the true meaning of 'faith'. There's a saying... 'treat religion like your genitalia... don't pull it out in public and don't ram it down your kids' throats'. I have to disagree, because I feel that it's much easier to believe when you are younger and don't have the capacity to question it. Which brings me to the question 'are you better off'?
I guess I identify as Atheist, but I do have some beliefs. I believe that you live, say 7, lives and experience different things in each (maybe sickness in one, poverty, etc.) that prepares your for your 'big daddy of them all' life where you put it all to good use. I believe there may have been a dude named Jesus that had some good things to say. I believe that the church does some good in the people that can't think for themselves and find their own way without shooting someone. I believe that gays don't necessarily have to be recognized in a traditional 'marriage' (unless you're a gay Catholic, then I guess it would suck that something you believe in doesn't believe in you) and that a civil union would be fine if it carried all the same legalities. But I also believe that the shit that goes down in the name of a God are perhaps the worse things that happen in the world... and will be the cause of the end of the world. I believe that the rituals are cult-like and no one knows what they're saying or why they're saying it, they just do it and don't question it because it's how you were brought up. I believe that there are more hypocrites that subscribe to an 'ala carte' belief system for whatever is convenient or suits their needs or makes them feel good about themselves or forgiven. As much as I find it all ridiculous, I definitely have more respect for people who follow it to the letter. That a Christian can cheat, steal, etc. and say 10 hail Marys and all is forgiven and they are going to heaven.... and I (considerate and helpful and whatever) am going to Hell for being gay, is something that I just can't wrap my head around. Especially since it's not stated as such in the Bible, but rather in the prejudice of the minds of the followers to make themselves feel more safe and comfortable about their bigotry and fear that the church instills.
If you are naive enough to think that there isn't hate for gays coming from the religious, then you must live under a rock. For the purpose of this post, I'm not going to go into all of the inequalities that we, as gay, go through, although it does further explain why there's such outrage in the community... but it's stuff like what's going on over the last couple of days that really make me think that anyone that follows these religious leaders are total idiots. Pat Robertson stated that the snow storm that New York City recently got was God's way of stopping people from doing something gay. And that straight people that live in NYC should really think about if they're not really gay, because they live there. And the Pope practically condoning pedophilia by saying that it's much more widely accepted nowadays. And his speech, heavy on forgiveness for the Priests involved, was very light on consequence for their actions. These examples are what is going on every day in the religious community. To quote my friend Scott... "you can't make this shit up".
I could go on and on about how ridiculous these latest revelations are but I won't because it's like rubbing salt into an open wound. The problem is that most religious people won't even question these behaviors let alone agree that it's sheer lunacy... or worse, accept them as their mantra because it came down from above. I guess there is some movement to free-thinking since the religions are fastly losing followers. What I would be thinking about if I were a Christian is what is my level of fucking 'stupidness' that I would allow the institution that I belong to carry on this way... spread this crap... spit in it's followers faces... and lastly, will I have the sense to not run a plane into a building in the name of some God because I was told to do so? Again, while I don't believe in organized religion, but I do believe in religious convictions... so if you are going to be a card-carrying Christian, then get up off your lazy ass and stick up for yourself against the wrong-doings committed in the name of your God.


That is a good post. I agree with you although I have not come to any conclusions whether I am an Agnostic or an Atheist. I am simply not smart enough to figure it out and I don't think anybody living or who has ever lived has figured it out either.
ReplyDeleteIn any case, it doesn't make any difference what label you place on me, because in the end, if there is a God I am sure that the good things that I have done will outweigh the bad...contrary to what these religious fanatics are doing and thinking, or having the audacity to think that they can speak for God.
If there is a God/Creator? I refuse to believe that he/she didn't have a purpose for all of us...and it isn't to go around preaching or judging others according to their erroneous interpretation of the Scriptures.
One more thing...I live by the ideal that the only obligation I have in life is to leave this world a little better place than I found it; so far, I am failing miserably.
I do love your blog and we do think alike.
saludos,
raulito
Chris is a churchgoer and I am not....
ReplyDeletesome of the leading christians of the village, I am sure are homophobic but after 5 years here.....between the two of us, they seem to be "won "over....
hummm an interesting post dave
Pat Robertson is a certifiable QUACK and gives Christianity a bad name. I'm not Catholic either, so don't really subscribe to what the Pope is spewing either. I believe in the Golden Rule.....treat others as you would have them treat you. And I do believe in God. Whether that's being a Christian or just being a good human being - it seems like a pretty simple way to live your life. And yes, it's a shame that these nutjobs are able to "represent" Christianity and give it a bad rap for the rest of us rational people.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that was clarified.
ReplyDelete