Despite my own personal progress of my 'To Do' list and internal thought processes, I am saddled with my family's lack thereof. With one call today from my brother, who has been released from rehab, everything is turned upside down already. Sanity, money, schedule, quiet and peace are all compromised in a split second. Blood pressures shoot up, tempers flare and voices magnify... just when you let your guard down. Everything becomes an argument and a negotiation and trust goes out the window; trust in my brother and in my Dad. Because no matter how many times I explain it to my Dad, he never gets it. He doesn't understand that every single thing that he does for my brother only hurts him, by him not learning to do for himself, still, after 45 years.
Sadly, until my brother is living under a bridge and he's cold, wet, broke, hungry and dirty will he ever stop and think how good he's had it and what he needs to do to get himself out of his predicament. He's a 45 year old infant, and my Dad is still holding his two hands over his head, not allowing him to walk by himself, holding him up. With bouts in and out of jail 4 or 5 times and in rehab about the same, he has still never learned because my Dad is always there to keep him from hitting bottom. Unfortunately, he has screwed over every person that has ever invested time or money into him including employers and friends, so he has no one to fall back on. And while my Dad keeps telling my brother that he's done and he's not doing anything for him, he always gives in and does it, then doesn't understand why my brother doesn't listen when he says he's not doing it any more. My brother knows that all he has to do is bug my Dad enough (calling 15 times in a row in ten minutes) and he'll do it. My Dad doesn't get the message that he sends to my brother is "no matter what I say, I'll do the opposite anyway". I have moved my Dad out of the only home he has known, taken all his money so he can't get to it and feed $10 at a time onto his ATM card, changed his phone numbers twice and moved him in with me and still, my brother gets to him. You would think that my brother would have some sort of remorse for ruining someones life, especially a parent, but he could care less.The rehab place found him a job down the highway from here. He of course thinks that my Dad is going to take him back and forth. Sadly for every taxpayer, he is eligible for every free service including schooling, food stamps and welfare money, free bus passes and free food from the food bank, but is too lazy to utilize the services because they are an inconvenience or it's beneath him to ride a bus. And as long as my Dad carts him around, why should he? I paid for his apartment last month and he went into rehab on the 12th, so I'm not sure if his roommates will let him come back there or not.
Although I know that technically it doesn't concern me, it technically does. With me leaving in two days, my peaceful vacation is shot because all I will be thinking about is if my Dad is letting him sleep in our house... and if he's stealing anything... or what he's up to or has my Dad dropped over dead yet from all of this. My Dad is the weak link in the fortress that I've built, and although I've protected my Dad's money, it's my peace and quiet and sense of stability that I want to protect... which is what may push me to move out come the end of our lease year in May. I'm going to have a frank conversation with my Dad and possibly try some therapy with someone experienced in the devastation that an addict causes to those around them. My Dad may want to live like this and/or thrive in this environment but I don't.
For those of you that have dealt with this in your life, you know how devastating it is to deal with both as an external conflict and what it does to you internally...the nasty, bitter person that it makes you... full of rage and hate, and that it never will end until they're gone. For those of you who haven't, you have no idea.

Except for a one year age difference and drugs, we could easily have the same brother. In my case, while living 900 miles away from the situation cushions me from the external conflict, nothing can rid me of the internal conflict. So, in that sense, you and I are "brothers" in similar dysfunctional families.
ReplyDeleteOh David-I am so sorry that this happening to you again! I can only say that I know what you are going through as I have experienced bloodbaths, shootings, herion and all kinds of drug use, police raids, etc. My mother was constantly enabling my brothers (I had 2 that put me through hell!). She would have continued if it wasn't for her age and she hasn't any money! The brothers have never changed and the only way your going to get away from it is to set your father up in a small 1 bedroom place, keep control of his money, and move yourself just far enough away that limits the external disruption you feel! Now I know that is all easier said then done - just know I am here for ya - and keep your chin up! I love ya buddy and will support ya anyway I can!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry I don't have any great words of advice here. I'm just writing to support you and encourage you to remain as positive as you can be, in the situation you are in. Try to do the bare minimum to feel you have your finger on the pluse while you are away. Realistically, that's all you can do. Try as you might, you can't control what will be while you are gone. Hopefully, having a few days to prepare, will have made this a little easier to bear; fortunately, it didn't happen mid-vacation. Who is to say what will come of this time spent between your Father and your Brother. What I do know is that you need and deserve to take this time for yourself; if you don't, you won't be any good to anyone. For the record, you shouldn't mistake "letting your guard down," for weakness. It's called "acceptance." Try to enjoy your vacation. Your friend's here are only a phone call away. As far as counseling, what a phenomenal idea. Maybe someday you will be helping others; imagine!(she said with a smile). After all, that does seem to be when we are all at our best. ;)
ReplyDelete