My friend Robert introduced me to this piece, having put it on a CD that he gave me as a gift. 'Spiegel Im Spiegel' translates to 'mirror in mirror', which refers to the infinite images you see when you have two mirrors propped up opposite each other. I tend to relate to moody pieces because they make you feel something, and this one makes me feel a lot, evoking feelings of joy and sadness at the same time. The piece's melody has a range of only 4 notes up and down and it's simplicity shows that beauty doesn't have to be complex. Before I realized what the translation was, the repetitive nature of the chords reminded me of the paralleled nature in which I reflect, over and over, which is probably why I related to it to begin with, looking inward for depth and perception constantly. The small range up and down four notes reminds me that it's only small steps in my mood to reach peak and valley and rolls as such.
Arvo Pärt - Spiegel Im Spiegel!
Me wants this back picture please.. Ps... There's more. Just wait. Thank you. My job is to spread thinking, joy, reflection in sounds.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful piece. He writes some gorgeous music...and I'm glad it makes your introspective.
ReplyDelete