The last couple of days were challenging. After thinking about the cause of the downward spiral, I can come up with a few surficular reasons to blame, but I have to wonder if I am that fragile that some basic things are able to put me in a tailspin... or if it's a chemical imbalance... or am I downplaying the surficular reasons, and maybe they are actually valid. While it must be hard for someone reading this to understand, having only a snapshot of the mood that I am in when I sit down to write and what mood I show them at the time... my friends (I would say 'and family', but there's not one of them that know a thing about who I am deep down, not seeing beyond their own needs long enough to even notice that something's wrong with me) see it up close over a larger portion of time. The feeling of 'I wonder if he'll be up or down' when they see me is the same that I have every morning when I hesitantly open my eyes. I will say that a good, long night's sleep usually recharges whatever imbalance I was experiencing and stops my mind enough to reset, which is why some days it's just better for me to go to bed.
I am fortunate to have the luxury of a schedule that allows me to reflect. I can't imagine getting a few moments to think if I had a few kids or a partner... and I have made choices in my life to structure it that way on purpose, usually pushing people away. To that end, I started reading the books that I brought down here, one on Tibetan Buddhism, one on meditation and another on yoga. With a few surficular problems as well as internal issues, it's hard to figure out which direction would be the best to set out upon. Armed with many different therapies, I think that I just need to not jump into any one yet. All three of the ones mentioned, and the Body Electric that I recently took, all center around meditation, which would greatly help in getting control of my mind when it races out of control. And so, I will start with some centered quiet time to start, even before I fully learn the techniques.
Over the years, I've come to realize some things about myself and through knowledge and understanding, I'm trying to be able to cut off behaviors or thought processes as they emerge (which is what Buddhism is all about). If I'm being honest, there isn't a day that goes by where I don't have suicidal thoughts pop into my mind like a craving for a beer to others. With the right amount of beer in the fridge, a game on and a bag of chips, that could turn into a session of binge drinking, eventually passing out in a drunken stupor. For me, the 'craving' is suggested (on the sunniest day at the happiest portion of my day) and the fear is that with the right circumstances (a period of melancholy, enough surficular problems, a gun laying about the house), that path would seem to be the best choice. It becomes a game of me against my mind. In a normal person, ending it isn't presented as an option in one's head. And while that scenario wouldn't play out over a 15 minute time span, it could over a longer period (like in Vegas). That may be hard for some people to understand... and hard for others close to me to hear. But it is what I go through most days.. and it is the truth. Being able to recognize the signs and behaviors has become important against my own self destruction. Jolting myself out of a spiral has become more and more difficult, but through the blog and the different modalities out there, managing it is easier.
Anyone go through this?

Honey, you will be ok. If you need to talk my phone is on. I know that sometimes (or a lot of the time, like me) you don't feel that you will be ok.....but you will. Sometimes, for me at least, its just nice having someone say "its ok". :) Get your ass over to my house on xmas day. I think Laurie is coming over too. We can all have one big miserable group xmas! LOL
ReplyDeleteThank you for your honesty and for sharing what you go through, on a daily basis. It's important to the people who know you and love you, to be aware of just how difficult getting through a day can be for you. I have to say that I think part of being "normal," includes everyone, at some point in time, considering what you (unfortunately) go through, on any given day (certainly not to the extent you suffer.
ReplyDeleteI can tell you that just yesterday, a long time family friend of Brad's, took his own life.
I can tell you that one week ago, one of my nearest and dearest friends (since childhood) shared with me how she planned to take her life just a few days beforehand, including exact details of time, place, and method; in crying out to God on route, she miraculously detoured.
I can tell you that just last night, a long time friend shared with me, the grief of an ongoing struggle of a 16 yr old young man in their lives, whose only mission is to end his. He is starving himself to death and has made it clear, he will not relent, regardless of the amount of treatment his parents put him into; it is now his only sole mission in what is left, of the rest of his life. I can also tell you that this same friend grieves every day for the loss of her 18 yr old daughter, who battled illness her entire life, because she wanted to live, and died one week before her high school graduation.
I can tell you that life to one seems to be a precious gift, and life to another a cruel joke. That rationalizing another day, and pulling yourself out of the depths of despair every single day, is worth it. That we can drive ourselves mad, very easily, if we don't strive to find balance and control every single day. We are all in this together; you, my friend, are not alone. Don't be fooled by those around you, who are making it look easier, than it is. :):):):)
you are normal
ReplyDeletewe ALL DO THIS FROM TIME TO TIME
dont be so hard on yourself!!!
I love ya......
ReplyDeleteFirst things first: The world is a better place with you in it.
ReplyDeleteAs I read this which as usual is written so beautifully honest; a few red flags go off. I would never deny a diabetic their glucose medication. It is needed to correct a problem. A mild chemical imbalance with serotonin and norepinephrine needs an SSRI to correct this. There is no shame or need for a defeatist attitude for anyone dealing with this. As I went through the events with my son's drug addiction as we talked about, I was put on Lexapro. Every morning I would take my Lisinopril for my inherited high blood pressure and my anti-depressant. It helped. No parent would want to go through what I went through, but I played the hand I was dealt the best that I could. And I needed some medication.
So let me surmise a little. You say that you are a sociophobe and are quite comfortable doing many things in solitude. I wonder if beyond that tough Italian shell of yours if you are more like me. Since we have so many parallels. I wonder if you need more hugs than you get too??
PLEASE: If I can be a comfort in any way LET ME KNOW. If you do not let me know, I will be the same pain in the ass and check on you. OR EVEN MORE SO!!
While I consider myself fortunate that what you described is not my experience, I am affected by the knowledge that people I know and care for feel like you. I always wish there was something I could do to 'fix it' but deep down I know that the only thing I can do is to be a friend to them and NOT act differently toward them because of their experience. They are valuable, loved people and I would be devastated if they stopped believing that.
ReplyDelete