Sunday, May 2, 2010

Anatomy of a Day Off

This is what my day off looks like, in a nutshell.

For someone who doesn't work a Monday through Friday, 9-5 job... their 'day off' seems to be much more of a thing that you look forward to in the sense that it contains a little mystery (not a lot of pre-planning can be done since you get little notice of when it's going to be), some randomness and relief (since maybe the work weeks went back-to-back in one long stretch).  When someone says it's their day off tomorrow, maybe they have something special that they want to do or they plan to do nothing... but you're compelled to ask 'what are you going to do on your day off?'.  There's a split in thought at their response.  Maybe they have something great in mind and you're like 'wow, that's a great thing to do' or, if nothing is planned, you're like 'wow, a day with nothing to do sounds great'.

I never know when my day off will be.  I am usually  working long days now that I don't even know what to do with myself when I'm not working.  Besides, I only get hugely rainy days off... it would be nice to have a sunny one sometime... or one where it's not 22 degrees and snowing.  So, today, with my day off, I had my Dad's pancakes... slept in a bit... and now, who knows?  The sky's the limit (under the layer of clouds and rain, of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment