Ever since I was brand new, my family went to Myrtle Beach every year and stayed in the same hotel in the same room. I met my oldest and dearest friend, Brad, there when we were 8ish... the movie 'Beaches' was made about us (I was portrayed by the fabulous Barbara Hershey)... our meeting and life happened almost exactly like the movie. In the picture above, you can see my Mom's stylish bathing suit, complete with matching floppy hat (don't think that I didn't wear that all the time) and glasses. Some interesting things that happened there over the years...- When I was about 4 or 5, I got the worst case of chicken pox the doctor had ever seen... I had them in my mouth, under my eyelids... everywhere. The sand exacerbated the whole situation and I wasn't allowed in the sun, but I did pick at them and have a few scars from it.
- There are things that happen in the world that you always remember exactly where you are... 911... the space shuttle disaster... Princess Di dying... and the first time you saw Grease. I saw it down there in 1978... I was 11 and fell for John Travolta... but really loved Olivia Newton John's sassy hot pants and big heels.
- My Dad and I had a great business going every year... he would go out in the ocean and bring me sand dollars... we would bleach them and I would go door to door selling them for a dollar. I would earn money before we left for vacation to spend... but I always made money down there and came back with more than I left with.
No comments:
Post a Comment