Sunday, August 29, 2010

Craftiness

Yesterday, after I went to the nursery to pick out 30 plants and shrubs for the job I'm doing and dropped them off and placed them, I headed over to the Shaker Woods Festival, right over the Pennsylvania border in Ohio.  Both Jesse and his Mom and Julie and her Mom and daughter, Kayleigh were there (coincidentally).  Filled with tradional Shaker craftsmen in authentic Shaker clothing, it's a trail that meanders through the woods where local artisans have shops set up to sell their crafts.

I'm not really one for down-home country bric-a-brac and whatnot, so I really didn't see much that I liked and half of it I wouldn't buy and put in my house and the other half I could make in my basement myself, since I'm crafty like that, but then I wouldn't put it in my house anyway.  Maybe I could open my own shop and wear knickers... but I don't go for that sort of thing though... and I probably would have to change my name to Yusef.

What I did like was the food.  I had a grilled weenus (for the novice, that's bigger than a weiner, but smaller than Ron Jeremy, the porn star), a corndog and homemade apple crisp with vanilla ice cream.  Yummy!  With the onset of fall and all the different festivals coming up (followed by the holidays), I think the idea of a diet regimen is futile.  Fortunately, I'm still doing some jobs that are eating up some calories, but obviously, my intake needs curbed.  I haven't given up entirely yet.

Jesse and I sat down and had one artisan do our caricature, which I was highly opposed to.  With my elongated head, Italian nose, squirrel cheeks and receeding (or exceeding, really) forehead, I might as well have painted a bullseye target smack in the middle of my head... I was asking for trouble where trouble already found it's place.  I'm the one on the left, with the big, long, giraffe neck... and interestingly enough, since I don't have a visible adams apple, she must have taken artistic license to draw one in anyway.  Still, I think that it came out fairly well, despite... and I suppose it's better than a 'Wanted' poster.

A few altercations in the fried pickle/kettlecorn line, some quizzical patronizing of the local redneck fair and accusing a (supposedly pregnant) woman standing in front of a booth that made decorative gourdes of stealing one up her blouse (I wondered if she'd name her baby Gordon, after that)... and we were able to get out unscathed, all having a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment