

These are in order, from left to right... 1st grade through 5th. Besides the haircuts, you can see that my outfits were an experiment in terror as well... except for the last one... I think I really grew into my big head by fifth grade... it would have been around 1977 and I was sporting a very cool orange floral print polyester shirt... and my hair was kind of wild and free. I think we switched from Joe the Barber... the one who put tupperware on our heads and cut what was sticking out. Some interesting things that happened in grade school...
- I remember participating in the very first Earth Day... we cleaned up the grounds of the school and planted some trees in the early seventies. We learned about 'Mecology', which was a combination of me and ecology... the jingle went... "just ad me to ecology... that's Mecology". I still remember that jingle.
- I dislocated my thumb while doing the running broad jump... or maybe I was jumping or running away from a 'broad' (girl)?
- When I was in sixth grade, Happy Days came out and I wanted to be the 'Fonz' so badly... careful what you wish for... if I had a nickel for every time someone told me I look like Henry Winkler, I'd be rich.
- Even though I am kind of 'Sporty Spice' now, I hated intramural days. My friend Carl and I would skip school... when asked if I was going to attend, I said I had a funeral to go to... however, intramural day was over two weeks away. Everyone was highly inquisitive on how I knew the person was going to die in advance and thought I may be a witch, which made me nervous around burning fires for quite a long time afterwards.
- Carl's Mom worked for the school cleaning after hours. We would ride our bikes to see her, then we'd run the halls and go into the rooms and steal things from people's cubby holes... and the stars and stickers from the teacher's desk. Kind of made me complacent when I didn't have to strive to get a good grade to get a star... I had enough of my own stars and stickers, biotches. I think that was the beginning of the end.
I'm just glad I'm not the only other person who remembers that "Mecology" song!
ReplyDelete