Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Voodoo Tattoo

One of the things on my list this year is to get a tattoo.  I'm not sure why I want one... I just do.  So I've been kicking around some ideas, thinking about some of the things that interest me... what would look cool... what's not overdone... what wouldn't get me beat up... as well as where to get it on my body, etc. 

I've always liked voodoo dolls for some reason.  I think I relate to the contradiction of their strength, endurance and pain threshold to their frailty in construction... being made out of scrap items and barely holding it all together... something I can directly relate to.  I drew out this quick sketch on the left last night on a napkin... and it would be much more elaborate as a tattoo... but you get the idea.

The other idea was going to be an arm band of sorts, much like a charm bracelet that I could add on to over the years with pivital points in my life.  Some of the starting charms would be the 'Love' sculpture that is located in Philly to represent my time that I lived there... there's a cartoon sketch of my dog Shelby... I'd want some version of the 'Gemini' symbol... and the letters 'B.E.' which would not only symbolize the dayspa that I designed and opened, Body Elements... but also for the workshops that effected me that I took last year, Body Electric.  Years ago, Pittsburgh National Bank's logo was three rectangles arranged in the form of a triangle... which would represent the three rivers of Pittsburgh... and double as a gay pride triangle.  I'd also like to have some sort of hand to represent my massage.  Maybe something to symbolize Paris and living in Vegas, like the 'Welcome to Las Vegas' sign that I love.   

I really like the charm bracelet idea... but I also thought about having those items flying around in an atomic symbol... representing the things that revolve around my core and  keep me from exploding and keep it all together.

I really wouldn't want this to be some big, honkin' splotch on my body... I'd like to keep it somewhat smaller... probably on my arm above the sleeve line.  We'll see... I'm still kicking some ideas around.

12 comments:

  1. IMHO, go for the doggie. He's adorable and he's a member of your family.
    I'm dreaming about getting a tattoo too(!). But I'm scaaaared! It's gonna HURT! :(
    I'm so not good with pain... well, except... you know...
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tattoos.
    Having six of them makes that a bit of an understatement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Voodoo doll tat is pretty cool, and it may come in handy if you ever get turned into a zombie. You ever see that video game "Voodoo Vince"? He'd be kinda cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dog one too! I think it's very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blog,
    Hi fool......
    I turned in my art work with a deposit at South Side Tattoo for Joe or Veronica to draw their version on paper. If I like it, I will make the appointment. You are more than welcome to come with me.

    My suggestion to you as a friend is to get the trees in the background from your Winter Blog and put the doggie in front of it with your hand petting the doggie. This ties in your "blog-dog-and massage." I'm so fucking smart it is sickening. You're very nice friend put those trees on a shirt, now put that on your arm. PS: Keep working out - tattoos no looka so good on wimpy arms! :)Your good friend -Mikey
    http://southsidetattooshop.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually partial to the voodoo doll idea. I can honestly say I've never seen one of those done as a tattoo on someone.

    And I love the atomic idea as well. You can always add new electron orbits as you add objects.

    Then again, the pooch is cute too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. just don't tat this doggy on your butt cheek, it will look like a shar pei soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be careful and go to s respect place. Hate for you to get something.
    Hugs
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd worry about what the tattoo would look like when you are 80 and your skin is saggy as a turkey's neck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanna have one on my right foot, just don't know what yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am too scared to get a tattoo - I like them but I want to change them and take them off from time to time, which alas is not how they work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm now wanting to get my right forearm done but don't know what quite to get just yet and I also need to come up with some ideas for the empty space on my left sleeve. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

    ReplyDelete