Tuesday, April 12, 2011

OCDsee

My Mom was a smart cookie... she knew that to get some cleaning done... all she had to do was pick a fight with me... followed by ignoring me... which then led to me compulsively cleaning everything in sight.  I've always been that way... if I'm having a heated conversation, the first thing I start to do is clean up the house while I'm talking... it's kind of hilarious, actually, to see it in progress.  I'm not sure why I do that.  I think my exes exploited that trait in me as well.

Yesterday was supposed to be another crazy, end-of-the-world weather day, so I diverted my plans from heading to do some landscaping in lieu of getting soaked, battered with hail, struck by lightning and possibly swept up in a tornado... all of which were speculated/promised.  The sliding scale in my mind went from 'justified' to 'overwhelming guilt' as I lay there watching TV, looking out at the sun popping in and out every 10 minutes, waiting for destruction to ensue.  With all the rain that they promised to start around noon, not a drop fell until around 6 pm.  That bullshit should be illegal.

Fortunately, I escaped my shame spiral and started spring cleaning my bathroom and room, moving the furniture, cleaning the windows, stripping the bed, purging stuff and going through paperwork.  I have a cleaning person come every 5 weeks to clean up after my Dad, but I don't have her clean my room or bathroom.  Not sure if that's out of guilt or self-persecution, but it's kind of stupid.  It was partially productive after all, just not what I should have been doing... but rewarding, nonetheless.  Sadly, it's been three days since I've been to the gym... hopefully I can change that today.

10 comments:

  1. I also clean when I'm upset, scared or worried...or at odds with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pack your gym bag. That usually does the trick for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, thinking of a way to get you to Smallville, and then pick a fight with you.

    Kidding? =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I never listen to weather forecast (don't look at my nose, Pinocchio!). Second, with all that cleaning and furniture moving... that ought to build up some muscles. O.K., I admit it... no handsome men to look at! :)
    I've been enjoing exploring your world.
    Thanks for letting us in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am somewhat the same way. But instead of fighting. I clean. If fifghting is going on ; I somewhat clean..a fterwards I do not want to talkto anyone, I clean. I do not care if they give me the silent treatment. I am already doing that to them.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does that mean that I can pick a fight with you and then you might come and clean MY house? That would be awesome. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess what? I'm also a Compulsive Cleaner. When I was growing up and my Mom was working (at Pepperridge Farms) I always washed the dishes and cleaned the whole house. No one asked me to do it and she didn't put a guilt trip on me either, I just felt like I had to do it to live in a clean and neat place because my father and two brothers were such slobs. After I graduated from high school and left home for the Army I was secretly gleeful because I thought one of both of my brothers would take up my cleaning responsibilities. I was very surprised when I came home on leave the first time from the Army and discovered NO ONE had cleaned. Dirty dishes were in the sink and clothes laying all about.
    I could never live with anyone who was a slob. Lucky for me that Bill (my partner of the past 46 years) is also a compulsive cleaner. In fact, he's worse than I am because he is also a minimalist. I tend to hang onto everything. Neatly but I hang on. Interesting that we have this 'neat thing' in common. I'm liking you more and more every day Pitt Guy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. my comment has disappeared again? anyway you will make a good housewife lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Add me to the list, please. When you're ready, come over to France and we can bicker. I'll have the rags and mops at the ready.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm w/ Mark... You are welcome to work thru your compulsive behavior at my place. If you're ever in Boston and feel the need to clean, please look me up.

    ReplyDelete