Throughout the day, I realized just how timid I am around animals (other than dogs). Since I was a kid, I've always been uneasy around horses, with their mysterious eyes and quickly-spooked nature... and don't even get me started on my warranted but altogether hysterical little girl fear of snakes (eek!). So, partially out of respect for the animals well-being and habitat, I timidly was led around the staff-only areas from the rhinos to the elephants to the foxes to the primates to the wild dogs to the bears and, lastly, a quick run through of the aquarium... where my irrational fear of the ocean came into play (despite my having been snorkeling a dozen times in my life). I got to pet a Rhino behind the ears (they skin so ruff)... I got to watch a small fox play with it's toy just like a dog would... I got to feed raisins to a lemur and some apes and various monkeys... (one of which challenged me by huffing his chest (obviously it sensed my overwhelming load of testosterone and manliness)). I got up close and personal with some wild dogs that looked at me like a (recently lean but) choice cut of beef (as they would have torn me to shreds with their teeth) and I got to feed a peppermint candy to a bear (my hand to it's mouth). I met every one by name and Kyle provided some interesting tidbit of information about each animal. He's so kind and gentle with each of them and has a great knowledge.
The experience was so invaluable and shattered some of the myths that we are fed through the movies that these animals just want to maul us and take over the world. It also reminded me that we are in their world... not them in ours. You can't help but see them and reflect on how precious the earth is and question their amazing existence and how they evolved. I am so thankful for the insight that I got and for the rare opportunity.







I would have loved to do all that! It sounds like you had a great time.
ReplyDeleteCool!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had a great time-d a gerat time showing you around and watching the expressions on your face, from one animal to the next. Next time, we're going to work on your snake phobia. Trus-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-st in me, Trus-s-s-s-s-s-s-st in me.... :)
ReplyDeleteIt always makes me sad to see animals in cages
ReplyDeleteGreat new layout! My favorite colors! I like your taste Dave.
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous! It would be so cool to get a "behind the scenes" zoo tour and to touch the animals I've always wanted to.
ReplyDelete(I really want to pet a giraffe!)
How I envy you. This was a great adventure and experience, hope you gave your friend and tour guide a great big hug.
ReplyDeleteHow I envy you too. What an awesome experience! I just heard today that there are over 400+ animals on the endangered species list. Some zoo's have come a long way in recreating their natural habitat at least and not just sticking them in a cage to pace up and down.
ReplyDeleteThanks for taking and posting the pics too.
Congrats on the personal tour. I have to admit I am abit jealious myself.
ReplyDeleteRay
What a great opportunity to take up on the spur of the moment. I love the behind the scenes tours that some zoos here in Australia have from time to time. It was great that you have such a good friend to make the offer....
ReplyDeleteThanks for your field report and photos.
They sit well in your new layout...
What a fun day! I'm envious!
ReplyDeleteI love the Rhinos. And the big cats. But I'm with you on snakes.
ReplyDelete...as for horses, they are so beautiful. Allegedly they see us 12x the size of what we are, which is a reason we can actually ride them. But it's also probable reason they are spooked by us.