Gone are the days of haphazardly baking yourself in the sun for hours with Wesson cooking oil or baby oil. As a replacement, we are saddled with sunscreens galore and checking our bodies for new 'things' that weren't there before, including bumps, lumps and spots. I have a vaccination, some chicken pox marks, some scars from cuts and stitches and all kinds of other marks on my body, but the invasion of my tattoo was pretty shocking, and hard to wrap my head around. What once was a bare palatte now has this thing on it. It's hard to digest. I can't imagine how I'd feel if it were larger than a 3" x 3" area.
As usual, I over-analyzed the whole process... I wondered how I would feel about having this on my body and not being a tattoo virgin and all that comes with my new-found status as a bad-ass (staying out late, picking up stray women, buying a Harley, getting a leather biker outfit and matching Pit Bull)... and for this relatively conservative, living-on-the-edge suburban boy... it's all fun and games until you get pricked by the tattoo needle. Along with that was my analyzation of the pain that was going to happen and how I'd react to that. I was curious to see, as I've heard stories, if I would have actually 'enjoyed' the pain, in an S and M kind of way. I can assure you, that was the furthest thing from my mind.
Imagining a certain kind of pain without ever having endured it is literally impossible. How can you imagine a tiny little bee sting if it's never happened to you... and as 'tiny' as it sounds, those mother-F'ers pack a lot of pain in such a little prick. I think that it turned out to be less than what I imagined (me crying or passing out or seeing stars), but the actual pain was excruciating at times and something that I couldn't even have conjured in my head. Not having any idea what I was going to feel, I can honestly say that it felt like she was stabbing into my skin and dragging the needles back and forth or rubbing sandpaper. I immediately broke out in a cold sweat, but once we got through it, some areas hurting less than others, I got used to it. Having the stencil put on... it's a totally different ball game when you start to see the design come to life and excitement replaces fear and pain.
I've seen some bad tattoos in my life, so I was a little worried as to how it was going to turn out. Once I saw the stencil of the changes that Cara made, I had total confidence in what she was going to do and her abilities. I'm thrilled with it... it turned out much better than I imagined. We were able to color the heads of the push pins... and if you look hard enough (hard to see until is heals fully) you will see ROYGBV... the gay flag. Since there were ten pins and we didn't think of just doing 6 for the gay flag colors, we had to use colors over again. Using only 6 to not repeat colors would be the only thing different that I would have done.
They say there's only two types of people... people who get one tattoo and stop... or people who get many. There doesn't seem to be anyone who gets just two. Which kind of person will I be? I can't say I'd be willing to do it again any time soon.. but there are some things that I would like to get done... only time will tell if I get more. I can now check 'tattoo' off my bucket list.
I wanted to thank my friend Kyle for encouraging me to go for it... for holding my hand through the whole process and introducing me to his friend, Cara, at Black Cat Tattoos... who has a great, artistic talent.
Anyone have any ideas for naming the little bugger?
I wanted to thank my friend Kyle for encouraging me to go for it... for holding my hand through the whole process and introducing me to his friend, Cara, at Black Cat Tattoos... who has a great, artistic talent.
Anyone have any ideas for naming the little bugger?





WOW! It looks great! Welcome to the fraternity.
ReplyDeleteI already know what my 4th and 5th one will be.
Very Cool!! I keep saying if I ever get down to 190 again, I will get a tatoo... for the time being, that seems to be a ways off...but nice one on you!!
ReplyDeleteI like it and I think it turned out really good. Damn! Boy you look hot as hell in that wifebeater! If I saw you landscaping out there looking like that as I drove by you I'd probably have an accident! WOOF!
ReplyDeleteIt looks absolutely great.......being a tattoo veteran (I'm so bad ass.....I've had mine for all of about 7 years or so), I remember how it was described to me. I was told it would feel like a cat continually scratching the worst sunburn you've ever had. I think that is pretty accurate. I swore like a truck driver through the whole thing. My first one was on the top of my foot - which my happy tattoo artiste was all too happy to point out is one of the most painful areas of the human body to have tattooed. I still absolutely love it.....and still love when Spring rolls around and I can bring it out of hiding with a sweet pair of sassy sandals.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the club, honey.....it looks FABU!!!!!
Thank you for posting the pictures...we were all curious for sure.
ReplyDeleteBut I have to say that all that facial hair does it for me...hot stuff guy.
saludos,
raulito
Your new first tattoo looks awesome! Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteWell executed; looks crisp and sharp. Congratulations.
ReplyDeleteNow, you'll have to keep up the workouts!
I will be interested to learn what name you decide on.
I like the way you have shared the experience by showing the stages of application.
I still don't like it and wish you hadn't.
ReplyDeleteIt turned out great!
ReplyDeleteDavid - It looks really good and I really like it! It was funny because it changes your look - I kept going back to the pictures and looking and it definitely gives you a different look and I think it is a good look. I can't put it into words - maybe you look less clean cut - in a good way! It almost has me convinced to get one - and guess who will go with me as my support person? YOU!!! You would be the only one that I would want to see me at my most vulnerable and frightened - AKA - A screaming wuss!!!!
ReplyDeleteAll in all - I am really liking it on you - I think it is unique and distinct and I would give it a 10 out of 10! I am proud of you and it sounds like it was a great experience!!!!
"Herbert" leaped to mind, if this is of any help.
ReplyDeleteWOW! I like the way it came out! Cool!
ReplyDeleteAt first, I was too distracted by your handsome face and your humpy body in that Guido Tuxedo to notice the new ink! LOL
ReplyDeleteI like it a lot! It fits your personality. I have an offer for you: I'll let you see my ink close up if you return the favor. ;)
It looks great! The artist did a great job, and I love the pins.
ReplyDeleteAwesome! Love it. It really turned out great.
ReplyDeleteNow you'd better watch out for Stan... ;)
looks a bit like a peppered sausage...lol
ReplyDeleteLooks good. I love the addition of the pins, too.
ReplyDeleteAs the proud owner of six tattoos, I say, Welcome, welcome.
Now, start planning your second one because they are addicting.
oops forgot to say you look still hot though ;)
ReplyDeletefind it a bit childish for a man your age...oh well too late
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to have been there with you for this. So when are we making the appointment for your Prince Albert and guiche piercings...
ReplyDeletePhilipp... youth doesn't belong to the young of age or body... youth is in the mind... something someone of your age will not understand for a long time... at the very least, until you've moved out of your parents house and lived a while. I like it.. it's on my body, and that's all that counts.
ReplyDeleteNice that someone didn't have the nads to post their name saying they don't like it........at least Phillip didn't hide behind an anonymous post....even if he is completely wrong. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think you asked anyone's opinion.
ReplyDeleteCool! Enjoy the pain :)
ReplyDelete@Philipp - I got my first tattoo when I was 38, and the big color tattoo when I was 40. Enjoy your youth puppy. I would love to be the fly on the wall when you turn 30 and have a nervous breakdown. Pfffffft - young'ns don't know shit - strike a pose and STFU.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if he was saying 'that I got a tattoo to begin with' is childish... or 'what I got' was childish. People are allowed their opinion... but when it comes down to it, I like it and that's all that matters.
ReplyDeleteI meant your tattoo, I just find it silly. My opinion, yes. Didn't know only old people may have one. I did not want to offend you David. Sorry if I stepped on your toes (but then you would love that right)
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love the tattoo and the fact that it is an original "cartoonish" image, but with an edge. If I ever got a tattoo, that is just the sort I would want (except not that exact one ... I wouldn't want to be a copycat)
ReplyDeleteI'd also have to find a different spot to put it. It looks great on that beautiful, big bicep of yours but wouldn't on my toothpick-arms.
No harm, no foul, Philipp... I've always been young at heart... liking cartoons and whimsical fonts and such. I don't have a problem identifying with the child in me or my feminine side... to choose something 'butcher' wouldn't be me... I have nothing to prove. I think I'm actually more of a man to choose what I wanted, albeit silly... and lets face it... I do still have my woobie and I'm not afraid to use it. (lol)
ReplyDelete