Saturday, April 9, 2011

Oboes and Hobos

There are some days that it bothers me that I get nothing done and then there are days where I welcome it.  Yesterday was one of those days.  It poured the entire day... so I did some spring cleaning and made it to the gym... grabbed something to eat and ran some errands, then met up with Robin to head to our friend Robert's recital in Morgantown, an hour and twenty minutes away. Like the last one a few weeks ago, it was amazing watching his talent come together in a 16-piece orchestral piece.  We watched three short performances... and then headed back to Pittsburgh to meet up with the Friday night crew at the trashy karaoke bar on the bad side of town. 

I don't know about you, but I love dive bars as opposed to trendy, chic places where everyone is carved out of cream cheese.  I find the people to be much more real in the hole-in-the-wall places... and we have a blast at this place.  With this being Robin's second gay bar outing, she sprang to life like a kid at a circus sideshow, making friends and handing out my blog address... introducing me to people.  I actually met so many nice people last night... and even danced a bit with this great guy named Kyle.  My friends and I wrapped up the night (morning, really) with breakfast at Eat-n-Park and by the time I got in bed, it was 5:30 a.m.  Fun night, but I can't do many of these like this any more.  I definitely feel 'rode hard and put away wet' this morning.  No work getting done today, that's for sure... looks like a nice latte, some trashy Hollywood magazines and a movie later on with Matt is in my future.

I'm glad I'm coming out of my shell, finally.  In the past, I would have just sat at home... or went out by myself and stood there.  Losing weight gave me the confidence to talk to and meet people instead of just leaning against the wall like I used to do.  It's amazing how people actually want to talk to you when you aren't self-loathing and miserable.


5 comments:

  1. "Rode hard and put away wet,"... now that I'd like to see! Glad you had a great time: a little self-confidence can do wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree w/the hole-in-the-wall places. If I want an S&M bar (not stand & model), I'll venture out to a leather bar. Or would have. I no longer go out to bars.

    As for Eat-n-Park, I never got that. Shouldn't it be Park-n-Eat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think when you are happy on the inside, it shows on the outside. And people can usually tell when you are truly happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember some dive bars on w121st st!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're looking VERY YUM in these photos! Glad you had fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete