"Own your crazy"... is something I've been saying for many years and have adopted as my mantra. For whatever reason... a vagabond biological mother who was always unsettled in life placement and partner... an unstable biological father that took his life... being adopted... being gay... being a Gemini... not going to college... being clinically depressed in the past... all of these factors could have contributed to who I became as a person over the years and why I've always had unrest. At last count, I've moved 37 times in my life, and I'm 44 (or will be in a month or so). I've had a number of career changes and show a pattern of the derailment of my own success. And yet, here I am. Somehow, I always bounce back, rooted heavily in the security I have in being insecure; knowing that whatever happens, I will be OK.
I've spoken recently a little about the Strength's Finder Test that I took and talked a little bit about what it revealed about me. Along that same line of thought (concentrate on what your strengths are rather than trying to change your weaknesses), my ex, Greg, helped me realize that I am who I am... it's probably too late to change much of that... and that I should embrace that whole-heartedly in my life in all aspects... hence, "Own your crazy". It wasn't until I stopped fighting myself and my every move that I became happy, albeit after a rough period. After a few reckless moves, I've kind of reeled it in a bit and I'm now at even-keel.
It's hard to pinpoint this period that I'm going through. While I am 44 and date some younger guys and it seems like I'm flitting all over the place, I'm probably the most settled I've been in a long time... which is funny since, in my current life... nothing is permanent. My Dad and I rent a place... my business is seasonally contracted... and I don't have a committed relationship. The only thing permanent is that I know that nothing is permanent and that's OK with me. In the meantime, I'm trying to live life as simply, but richly, as I can. That realization that I probably will have a few more careers throughout my lifetime... will be working until the day I die... and that I'll probably move a dozen more times has overflowed recently into my thought process with relationships. I did the relationship thing from 20 - 39... and I've just recently come to the realization that it's OK that I'm single and that I will probably have people coming in and out of my life.
Getting out of the career pathways self-ingrained by me since I was a kid was difficult. It was a real mind-fuck to go from a Joe Corporate identity to a Joe the Plumber mentality, settling into massage and landscaping. My whole identity was how much money I made and what my title was... a fascade of my self-esteem issues of not having a degree. Once I got past that, I got happy. And the same goes with my narrow-minded thought process of always having to be in a relationship. It was a turning point last week. Slowly, I am making some progress.
Although I have had the radical life changes, the bout with depression... I don't think that I had a mid-life crisis. And even though it looks as though I'm displaying some of the tell-tale signs (dating younger guys, working out, going out single), that's not what this is. For the first time in my life, I have put me first. I am spending time on me, whether it be self-reflection or taking care of my health or doing things that I want to do... at 44, it's time. I'm happy with the skin I'm in.
This year, there are some things that I want to try to accomplish. I want to go to Burning Man ... I want to attend a gay pride parade of a major city, like NYC or Toronto... I want to take a few weeks to drive across the country... and get a tattoo. These are a few of the things that I've wanted to do for some time but never do. I'm awake... the time is now.

I really like this post. It's amazing how life changes when we "Own our crazy". I don't think you're having a mid life crisis, I think that you are taking care of #1 for the first time in what sounds like a long time. Good for you, find your own happy and you'll find peace in all the crazyness that is life.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in grad school, a good friend explained that we don't have a mid-life crisis, we have several. They're not so much about being a crisis as they are major decision making points in our lives.
ReplyDeleteFirst - moving out and going to college or not. Second, first real job, then usually around 28 first job change and marriage, first home and children. Of course this is the straight version. We gays have our own time line but you get the idea - we have a mid-life crisis every 5 years or so and then they start spreading out around 40.
My life motto is: Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today. Don't wait too long for anything David, just do it as soon as possible. Burning Man..isn't that where they are all naked? Man can't wait for the pics tee hee
ReplyDeleteWell I'm glad that I've found your blog and can take part of your life from afar. I'm sure it won't be boring ;-)
Great post!
ReplyDeleteI also want to go to burning man. Several friends do too... let's go then!
Great post, D@vid! It is your time, so just go for it!! You should be very proud of yourself, having triumphed over so many obstacles in your life.
ReplyDeleteMy "to do" list also involves going to Gay Pride this June. For sure, the little one in my town, but I really want to go to a big city one as well.
p.s. I wondered how old you were, but it is not a question I ask. 44? Amazing!! You look 10 years younger!
I like that: "Own your crazy."
ReplyDeleteActually, you sound pretty damn sane to me.
It seems that you have spent some time in the crucible of suffering and that you are emerging with a survior rather than a victim mentality.
In fact, I would say you have a victor outlook, and that bodes well for your future.
Living "simply, but richly" is more complementary than it is exclusive.
I am rather new to your blog. I like your introspective honesty and your apparent lack of superficiality.
david
ReplyDeleteyou do what all single, intelligent gay men do in their forties
you think and question
nothing wrong in that
Ï like a life of change. i liek the idea that today won't be like tomorrow or yesterday or next year.
ReplyDeleteIf it were to all remain the same, that would be crazy.
Count me in for burning man...seriously.
ReplyDeleteAmazing self realization post. You've great insight. The end of a journey must begin with a first step and it seems you have the inner strength for many journeys.
ReplyDeletetattoo on the lord's temple? Just sayin'!
ReplyDeleteMy career is assisting people (mostly men) in their 40s-50s. A mid life crisis is the soul's 'engine light' coming on to tell you to look under the hood and examine (now) what is in there for Self growth, as you travel towards the sunset. Most men f-ck up this opportunity by acting out in superficial ways, when they should be looking inward.
ReplyDeleteNo exceptions; getting to Ithaca requires a Journey of nasty knocks.
I hope yours is something Wonderful.
The thing to keep in mind is like I have always said and you can quote me: there is no such thing as happiness, only happy moments and if you are smart enough or rich enough you can program these to happen more often.
ReplyDeleteTake care of yourself, try to live out your dreams and never forget those of others...an advice coming from one who has been in this little blue marble called earth...65 years...and I didn't come out until I was 54...so you are not old by any stretch of the imagination.
saludos,
raulito
I would've never guessed your were 44. Ever.
ReplyDeleteOddly enough, I've often wondered why it's not called "mid-life clarity". I've known several people who seemed to find their way during that "age".
ReplyDeleteAnd get that tattoo!