Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Neverending Weekend-ing April 17th

It's been a long week... and weekend.  Two strenuous days mulching followed by 32 ounces of Long Island Iced Tea (30 ounces being alcohol) on Friday... and a very long, cold, rainy dreary, muddy day at camp (finally getting into my own bed at 4 a.m.) has wreaked havoc on my system.  Today is probably going to be the nicest day this week, and I'm just so tired and worn out, that I can't bring myself to go mulch today.  I'm halfway through my salvation... a venti skinny hazelnut latte at Barnes and Noble right now.

While I no longer have that much fun at gay camp any more with all the things that have transpired... and friends and family weekend isn't exactly my favorite theme weekend up there (the campground is open to straight family members, and usually we have to de-gay the campground and ourselves to make them feel comfortable, as if we don't do that in normal society already, Monday through Friday).  I will say that the people that come to camp on this weekend are the cream of the diversity crop; the straight family members and friends (of the gays that go to camp) that care enough about their token gay to want to be a part of their world outside of their own.  You meet some really open-minded people who are usually worldly and diverse in their own self.  To see someone's Mom dancing on the floor with an unknown gay, where there's no prejudice or judgement, just plain fun... it inspiring.  It's a blessing to be able to share these special people.

Robin went with me and she had a blast.  She actually reminded me of me when I first came out in the gay world... attention drawn from one shiny object to another... taking in all the sights and sounds... trying to make sense of some things that are hard to understand... but mostly, just opening her arms wide and accepting as she is famous for, appreciative to be invited into a special place... and engaging everyone, all captivated by her bubbly personality.  She is now officially a gay man trapped in a woman's body.

I was also able to measure for the 12 X 36 deck that I am contracted to build for a friend of mine... and see some people that I haven't seen in a while... Scott being one of them.  I haven't gotten to see him much lately, and I miss him.  It's nice to be around someone who truly 'gets' me and leaves me be to trip and fall and find my way... but never too far to put on a band-aid if it gets messy.  I am blessed with some good people in all aspects of my life.

4 comments:

  1. Boy, I wish there was a "gay camp" near me! Too bad you're not having as much fun there as in the past. I guess it's a gay-only campground with tents or cabins or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I am blessed with some good people in all aspects of my life"

    that makes you a very fortunate man, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors of spring, beautiful! I like your pictures. Looking at Walt's blog and yours and the beautiful pictures both of you post of flowers inspires me to do the same instead of my moody, morose postings of late (except for Dr. Spo's visit today).
    I understand your fondness for the camaraderie of friends, both gay and straight. That's why I like to go out dining with friends. Not so much for the food (which is generally sub-par down here in Tourist Trap Land) but it is a chance to get together with some nice people. I guess that's why I like my part-time job at the hotel, I get to meet nice people.
    You build decks? I was looking for someone build a screened in porch on my deck. I gave up. I'm impressed if you build decks David. That is one skill I do not possess. I can cook though. Also lay mulch. In fact I have to get another load of mulch now that I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to thank you for providing me with the transportation to camp this weekend, your company, and a hand to grab onto in case I got a little lost; as well as Scott And WhatNot for the invitation. It was a day I wish could have gone on and on (as you know).

    Having an Evangelical and somewhat sheltered upbringing, gay was never anything I really had to think about, let alone consider that it would somehow bring me one of the most important friendships of my life.

    I never really believed that two people of the same gender could actually "fall in love." I thought the "love" between gay couples was something concocted to give them a sense of "something," while enjoying their chosen lifestyle...then I met you.

    I saw you and Jesse together. I saw love between two males that flowed deeply and honestly. There was no mistaking what was before my eyes. The pain and struggles I saw between you both, when things just couldn't seem to work out. The emotional obstacles you had to overcome to move on. Seeing that process changed my life. You showed me that love is love, regardless of gender. Sexuality is what we are born with, not the definition of who we are.

    You have given me such an incredible gift in your friendship; your understanding, your patience and your kindness. Your acceptance of me for who I am. I will never find the words to express how truly grateful I am to you for changing my life for the better. For sharing your friends with me, and letting me be in your day-to-day. For giving me opportunites to grow in a way that I never would have imagined.

    My hope today is that one of your readers will see this and realize that we have to think of tolerance as a two-way street. Sometimes an outstretched hand or invitation to friendship, is all someone really needs.

    ReplyDelete